Rootbeer River Carping

Luvevolution

Scott (Dark Edge) and I fished the Rootbeer River for 2 hours early this evening. it was a very productive 2 hours, fishing with corn on hook. between the two of us, we landed 10 fish and I lost 2. one of the ones that I lost was about 5-7 lbs at a guess and it decided to sulk under a submerged tree stump, which is when I yanked the hook out of its mouth while trying to persuade him to stop sulking. LOL. it was a great time and I can't wait to go back there. I feel bad for the other two guys that were there, because they only managed one fish the whole time we were there. I think they were getting mad. LOL. it was great to fish with you again Scott and even better that we managed to get rid of the old skunk tag. :Gonefishing: I will upload the pics and add the pr0n for you guys. :P

Rich

Scott (Dark Edge) and I fished the Rootbeer River for 2 hours early this evening. it was a very productive 2 hours, fishing with corn on hook. between the two of us, we landed 10 fish and I lost 2. one of the ones that I lost was about 5-7 lbs at a guess and it decided to sulk under a submerged tree stump, which is when I yanked the hook out of its mouth while trying to persuade him to stop sulking. LOL. it was a great time and I can't wait to go back there. I feel bad for the other two guys that were there, because they only managed one fish the whole time we were there. I think they were getting mad. LOL. it was great to fish with you again Scott and even better that we managed to get rid of the old skunk tag. :Gonefishing: I will upload the pics and add the pr0n for you guys. :P

Rich

i was one of the other guys! lol

it was getting a little frustrating considering i had some great success there yesterday, but as long as someone was pullin em in, thats what counts!

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Is there much room for a run there? I have been thinking about breaking out my really light action rod for a fun fight. just minimal line on the rod so if they can run ... i would be a mess.

i was one of the other guys! lol

it was getting a little frustrating considering i had some great success there yesterday, but as long as someone was pullin em in, thats what counts!

sorry about that. didn't mean to steal all your action. LOL. it was a cool evening out though, even with the rain. LOL. did you catch any more fish after we left? I thought that was a smart decision moving to the other side, since they all seemed to be hiding out under the trees over there and in the current.

there is room for a run on light gear. just watch out for submerged stuff, or you are guaranteed to lose tackle or snag up for sure.

That last one's a baby! I might have to take my light rod one time, too. But first it needs new line. And a net if I'm doing that. Was a lot easier to horse them out of the water with the 30# braid.

Damnit, I still didn't break that rod. Even pulling up part of that tree. We need to find some fish that'll break that old P.O.S. rod for me, Rich. Then I can finally get a new one.

My only contribution to pictures. The other one I have is just another of Rich holding his carp. Same fish, different camera. Though, he does look a bit surprised by it.

46709_10150247081945321_784400320_14075499_7538743_n.jpg

That's the toe of my size 10 at the bottom. The fish didn't want to stay still for its photo shoot, so that was all the shoe shot I could get in.

sorry about that. didn't mean to steal all your action. LOL. it was a cool evening out though, even with the rain. LOL. did you catch any more fish after we left? I thought that was a smart decision moving to the other side, since they all seemed to be hiding out under the trees over there and in the current.

there is room for a run on light gear. just watch out for submerged stuff, or you are guaranteed to lose tackle or snag up for sure.

haha its all good. the other side is where i pulled out about 5 the day before so i figured why not try what worked before.

We didnt stay much longer after you left because it started to rain real good. Im surprised you guys didnt get into any cats....i had a couple the day before that were decent.

Good haul though. You were hittin the right spot.

I might be headed back this weekend, possibly with the wife. She's kind'a into the idea of catching a carp. Those would be some good fish for her rod, and lighter line. If we go, I might take the light action for that. Have some real fun. :P

if someone wants to fill me in on how to post pics, i'll throw up a few of the ones i pulled in the other day....since the :P bit me and made me look silly yesterday lol

You will have to have your pic on a photo hosting site, I use photobucket because its free. When you are making your post look at all the little buttons right on top of the "posting window?" (bold, italic etc.) - The 7th button from the left is Insert Image.

click that and paste in the link from where your picture is and voila....

I use a social media site I won't name (because I don't know if I can) with an album dedicated to my fish, and similar fishing pictures. That way more people than just you guys get to see them.

ok lets see if this works. i was fishing alone so hence why only my foot made it into the pics....size 12 for reference

within 3 min of dropping the line in i found this kitty

44756_660113051890_89903911_39684066_5666756_n.jpg

this guy came after losing 2 large ones....i was thrilled to finally land one so i snapped the pic real quick before i lost him too! lol

45006_660113101790_89903911_39684068_5037574_n.jpg

bigger guy...

45838_660113226540_89903911_39684077_6372865_n.jpg

this little bugger kept stealing my corn, but i finally caught him..... if im not mistaken, it looks like a small bass?

45787_660113346300_89903911_39684093_8182762_n.jpg

and here's some strong evidence of a beaver that inhabits the creek

45133_660289712860_89903911_39692565_1473525_n.jpg

it was a blast Lorne. those little guys are super strong swimmers in that current and they pull like a freight train when they get hooked. I'm just sorry I lost the first fish, which was about 7lbs, maybe more. I had it all under control, when he decided he was gonna go sulk under the tree trunk and branches. of course, that got my line all tied up in the twigs and brush and that was the end of that. as said, it was a lot of fun and they were hitting one after another. lots of missed bites too. even had a Goby take the corn too, which I've never had happen before.

apostletony

I remember you saying you'de caught 5 fish the day before. looks like a pretty good score and that Bass was probably a nice surprise in that water. that was a great little spot to fish, for sure. if I had had more time, I would have stayed and fished in the rain, but life comes first. LOL. I'll be heading down there again today and see what I can get into this time. hopefully we'll see you down there again some time.

Rich

it was a blast Lorne. those little guys are super strong swimmers in that current and they pull like a freight train when they get hooked. I'm just sorry I lost the first fish, which was about 7lbs, maybe more. I had it all under control, when he decided he was gonna go sulk under the tree trunk and branches. of course, that got my line all tied up in the twigs and brush and that was the end of that. as said, it was a lot of fun and they were hitting one after another. lots of missed bites too. even had a Goby take the corn too, which I've never had happen before.

apostletony

I remember you saying you'de caught 5 fish the day before. looks like a pretty good score and that Bass was probably a nice surprise in that water. that was a great little spot to fish, for sure. if I had had more time, I would have stayed and fished in the rain, but life comes first. LOL. I'll be heading down there again today and see what I can get into this time. hopefully we'll see you down there again some time.

Rich

yep its a good spot. and you will most likely see me down there another time.

i was definitely surprised at the bass....i figured it was a goby i was pulling in too

I thought the same thing, Dan. I just figured it had to do with the shallow waters. That they didn't bulk up like most cats I've ever seen.

how about we call them dicks catfish since the creek is called dicks creek named after black loyalist richard peirpoint who was also known as captain dick, and catfish since thats what they are. who agrees with me?

thw Rootbeer River runs deom Thorold (the new canal), down to the 12 Mile creek in downtown St.Catharines. you can fish it at various spots along its length, but some is fenced in around the old locks. the best spots with easiest access are basically around Oakdale Ave, towards city center.

I'm wondering if the body type of those cats has something to do with water depth and flow. seems to me that a streamlined body would make more sense in water of that type. I went back down there today and caught one that looked similar to the one posted earlier. it seems that they've evolved into this strain of cat, so I'm agreeing that they probably should be named accordingly. not sure I agree with Dick's Catfish, but something amusing might be prudent. if the cat is a type of bullhead and the guys name was Dick, maybe it could be called a D___head. LMAO. sorry, couldn't resist the temptaion. hahahahahahaha

How about Dick's Creek Catfish, Rich sounds a little more appropriate right cant turn this one around eh

Archived