Rootbeer River Carping

Luvevolution

More likely it is a result of years of toxic exposure as that old canal was nothing more than one long open pipe for disposing toxic waste into Lake Ontario. Can't you smell it while your fishing? That's why we call it rootbeer river. All that crap used to foam up the creek and every waterfall (canal lock) would stir the foam back up again. The Discher street crossing was once difficult to cross without getting the foam on you because the waterfall would create a wind and wisp the foam into the air.

These pictures actually upset my stomache.

Here's a little something related out of today's paper: http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=2731651

years ago, it used to be called, the Shasta canal, because the water colour and foam looked like Shasta brand rootbeer. today, the Shasta part of the name has been lost and changed to rootbeer river. just thought I'de share that little tidbit of info with ya. LOL

Dan. I've never noticed any smell down there when fishing.................other than the same smell you get at Lake Gibson or Dufferin Islands. it doesn't smell good, but it seems normal for a sedimented water system. I wouldn't want to be drinking any of that water without being heavily treated first. LOL.

tonight, my wife and I were out fishing the same spot Scott and I were at the other day and we had a fairly productive day again. 2 Bass, 4 Cats and 3 Carp in less than two hours. not too bad. I was happy that she got into a few Carp, cause I was bragging about what she missed the other day and she's never caught a Carp before, so I was happy for her. I'll post the pr0n once I've uploaded it. :)

Rich

Could the long skinny cats be stone cats?

http://www.briancoad.com/ncr/NCRPics/stonecatNY%20State.jpg

it's possible that they are Stone Cats. they look very much like the picture, rather than a modified Bullhead, or a Channel Cat. I caught a fairly big one today that put up a very decent scrap for a few minutes.

it's possible that they are Stone Cats. they look very much like the picture, rather than a modified Bullhead, or a Channel Cat. I caught a fairly big one today that put up a very decent scrap for a few minutes.

No they're just skinny channel cats. They almost look anhorexic so they do kinda look like stone cats.

lovin the foot measurements!!! rootbeer river is just jammmmed full of those straggly lookin kitties....carplook very healthy though

oh yeah, you got that right. the Carp are extremely healthy. the big one I got was very wide around and heavy in body mass. they all look very good though...........no scales missing, etc. I still have to upload the pics from the other day with my wife. LOL.

yeah, they seem to like jumping, just above the current in those bushes. LOL. I'm sure you could reach them if you tried hard enough, but your casting accuracy would have to be borderline super powers. LOL. my wife was catching them by casting downstream the other day and I netted that monster Cat by casting into the current. I think he was resting behind that submerged tree stump, right in the middle. worth remembering, so you can place your bait next time. :)

yeah, they seem to like jumping, just above the current in those bushes. LOL. I'm sure you could reach them if you tried hard enough, but your casting accuracy would have to be borderline super powers. LOL. my wife was catching them by casting downstream the other day and I netted that monster Cat by casting into the current. I think he was resting behind that submerged tree stump, right in the middle. worth remembering, so you can place your bait next time. :)

it certainly is a good spot to practice casting accurately! i've found out the hard way that fish dont live in trees! lol

Lol. I saw that Tony. How long did it actually take you to get out of there? I saw you get hung up, then stopped paying attention for a while. When I looked back, you were still in it.

Where we were was the first time I was ever really proud I can only sidearm cast. Most places it hinders my distance, but I do it for accuracy. Over there, with the low trees, it made for the ideal spot to use my powers for good, not evil. :)

Lol. I saw that Tony. How long did it actually take you to get out of there? I saw you get hung up, then stopped paying attention for a while. When I looked back, you were still in it.

Where we were was the first time I was ever really proud I can only sidearm cast. Most places it hinders my distance, but I do it for accuracy. Over there, with the low trees, it made for the ideal spot to use my powers for good, not evil. :)

haha actually when you guys were there, that was my buddy who ended up in the tree and he actually did it trying to free himself from a snag and pulled too hard lol...luckily i avoided it that day, but the day before i left that low hanging branch a new hook ornament.

that's why I like the Fused Crystal braided line. I got very good at catching trees in that spot and the braid gets you out of it 99.9% of the time. LOL. any time you guys wanna go down there, just let me know and I'll join you. not like I'm doing much during the day or early evening anyway and I'm always up for catching some wierd kitties and carp. :)

Tried the Rootbeer river this afternoon (south of Disher St.) and did really well. At the first spot i managed a 2-3 pound carp, i then moved upstream and finished the afternoon by catching 3 cats and 3 more carp, one which was 6-7 pounds! I will definetly try the Rootbeer River again as it seemed to be a productive spot.

P8300014.jpg

Larger Carp, the hook pulled out at the last minute!

P8300013.jpg

P8300011.jpg

P8300005.jpg

Some Beautiful kitties caught.

that's the "other" good spot. just turn onto Disher from Oakdale and turn left at the end of Disher. you'll see a path that says, "motorized vehicles prohibited". guys just drive down there and park along side the canal and fish where they park. it's not very wide at that spot, but there's lots of fish in there. also, at the mouths of any of the locks are great spots, as they all seem to group up in those locations. especially the Kitties. :dunno:

ask Joey about that, since they seem to fish those areas. there's probably holes in the fences, or some other way to get down there. they weren't fenced when we were kids, so we simply walked right down to them. :roflblack: I'm in no way suggesting you fish illegally if there are "no trespassing" signs, but if there aren't and there's no holes in the fence, you could just hop right over. LOL. if there are signs, it would be left up to you if you wish to fish those spots or not. good luck.

Rich

Archived