Brookies

Erik.T.

Pretty nice day for fishing, slightly overcast and no bugs! I figured I would get some brookies seeing as I haven't fished for almost all of the summer nor have I really been on the forum.

The first guy was the biggest but not exactly the most colourful.

eriksbottles021.jpg

I found that the ones caught in the sections exposed to sunlight were more pale than those in the shade of the cedar forest.

eriksbottles023.jpg

One caught in forest section.

eriksbottles026.jpg

One caught in an exposed section.

eriksbottles025.jpg

It kinda looks just like something that would be caused by the camera but they visibly differ in darkness, I have seen this before in other fish where they change their colour to adapt to diffeent types of water and I know its not polymorphism but rather just a cool adapting feature fish have.

Nice looking fish you caught there Eric. I really miss fishing those streams up that way. My father used to take me up when I was a kid for the opener every year. How come you haven't been fishing this summer?

Thanks i'm lucky the streams are so close. I got into bottle collecting and so I have been hiking throughout my area looking for old dumps circa 1930s and older and havent been fishing much.

Pretty little fish Eric.....and the best eating trout in Ontario for me ! Some fish have the uncanny ability to change colour very quickly to match their surroundings . I have caught bass in tea coloured water and reeled them into a white sandy bank into the sunlight & watched them change in seconds from a mid green/black to a very light yellow/white ....didn't even look like a bass......mother nature at her finest .

Beauty little brookies you caught yourself there Erik. Now you got me planning a trip to my favourite brookie stream before the season closes.

Goodluck with the bottle collecting. Bottle collectors are quite a fraternity. These guys I used to scuba dive with years ago were fanatical bottle collectors and would visit old junk piles all over Ontario looking for their 'treasures.' They also had the benefit of diving for submerged bottles too. They would go to the Muskokas and dive the waters around resorts and restaurants that had waterfront patios because they were a great source of old disguarded bottles and plates.

I love fishin' for brookies. I get some every summer when I go to New Brunswick. I want to try for some here in Ontario but I just don't know where they are. Nice ones you got there.

Try Forks of the Credit for some brookies....

FORKS OF THE CREDIT PROVINCIAL PARK

Some of the best brook trout fly fishing water in Southern Ontario is found downstream of Charleston Sideroad to the Cataract Falls. The river is accessible via formal trails in the Park. Extreme caution is required around the active rail line and steep rock gorges. Parking lots for the Park, off McLaren Road , require a fee and involve a long enjoyable hike to the river. The lower end can be accessed from limited shoulder parking near the actual river �forks� where the Forks of the Credit Road approaches the Dominion Street bridge. One can hike past this reach along Dominion Street where the Bruce Trail enters the Park. Brown and brook trout are typically fly fished up to the �meadow� and further upstream into the gorge and up to the spectacular Cataract Falls. Fast water warrants extreme caution while wading in this area even if in low water conditions.

Thanks everyone! I might try the forks of the cred but it seems to get a fair amount of pressure already plus from what I understand I have to use artificial bait only and I'm not really good with flies. Brookies are my favourite fish and it seems finding good trout streams is an art in itself. I was thinking of taking one or two home to eat but decided not to.

Mr. pike Yeah I always wanted to go diving for bottles, maybe in the future for now im just looking along streams and creeks as well as digging.

Archived