shrooms and puffballs

hugelaker

hey guys

i noticed there was a topic on the conservation secton about shrooms and puffballs it wouldent let me reply to the topic so i started a new one.

i am a chef and at the restaurant i work at these kind of wild mushrooms are a staple on our menus, ive always wondered if there were places around here to find mushrooms for home cooking. it looks like there are, i have found many types of oyster mushrooms, field mushrooms, and other variaties in places like happy raulphs and the gourge. i am excited to see that there are puffballs in the area and will have to get out and explore on my own soon.

anyways i noticed smerch was looking for some recipies, i have endless ideas / recipies from home cooking style to some fancy stuff that would impress some friends at a dinner party. feal free to pm me anytime i would be happy to help anybody on tips for cooking wild edables and shrooms. the key is to treat each different mushroom as its own gem, they all need different cooking times, and cooking styles. theres nothing cooler than coming across wild edibles and injoying the flavors of nature at home..

-matt

I have on a few occasions picked some wild shaggy mane mushrooms. They grow on my lawn all the time. I have noticed they are all over the place right now. It must be the right time of year.

The thing i like about this mushroom is that there is no mistaking it. It has such a distinct look to it. You must prepare them the day you pick them, preferably within a few hours of picking.

Here is a pic.

copr1.jpg

If you want to go on a mushroom hunt i am always looking for something to get me out of the house.

if I can find it...I have a pic and recipe from a while ago about a yummy lasagna that I made from a puffball I found at my trailer where I used slices of the puffball to replace the noodles for the lasagna...I am also a chef and have a million ideas for stuff....perhaps we can startback up the "cook your catch" section I started up on here a couple years ago :clapping:

great idea for sure, outdoor cookouts, shore lunches awsome idea for a new thread

Cooking threads are great!

So far this thread is not even a tiny bit about fishing. Would hate to see it get closed due to being off topic.

Perhaps Chef Hugelaker can come up with a local fish + local wild mushroom dish that we could try and make.

MMmmm!

I have liked to eat mushrooms from childhood . When I bbq a steak mushrooms & onions are always fried up to eat with the steak . You can use mushroom soup in linguini or pork chops & many other recipes . The fall season is harvest time . I love to eat the late crops... from squash to pumpkin pie ! My garden still has tomatoes , peppers, carrots & beets which we add to our stews etc. when doing FISH :crazy: on the bbq , the chopped veggies are a great helper to enhance the flavour of trout or pike while wrapped in tin foil , and the mushroom / pepper / tomato combo fried in butter is a nice side dish . My puffball question was about a comparison to mushrooms , like cooking them the same way or preparing them for frying . Any info about cooking ,using mother nature's freebee offerings is always welcome ! :(

I have liked to eat mushrooms from childhood . When I bbq a steak mushrooms & onions are always fried up to eat with the steak . You can use mushroom soup in linguini or pork chops & many other recipes . The fall season is harvest time . I love to eat the late crops... from squash to pumpkin pie ! My garden still has tomatoes , peppers, carrots & beets which we add to our stews etc. when doing FISH :crazy: on the bbq , the chopped veggies are a great helper to enhance the flavour of trout or pike while wrapped in tin foil , and the mushroom / pepper / tomato combo fried in butter is a nice side dish . My puffball question was about a comparison to mushrooms , like cooking them the same way or preparing them for frying . Any info about cooking ,using mother nature's freebee offerings is always welcome ! :(

Puffballs I skin them, dice them and fry them in butter. Have been picking pedpanki ( bush or honey mushrooms} for the last week.

Just remember not to pick them from a conservation area, Niagara or Canada Parks properties.

I wish I knew why you couldn't post in that section HL. If we figure that ut we'll correct it then add your topic to that one.

I missed the puffball run this year. Perhaps I shouldn't have picked them from the same spot every year. They were already under stress because the ATV's would never let them ripen so their spores never got the chance to spread. ATV's like to hit them because they are so soft they just splatter all over the place.

I have seen many interesting mushrooms lately but I don't know what they are so I won't eat them. Still waiting to meet a mushroom guru to show me the ropes and have some taste testing. So HL when are we going on a walkabout? :(

hugelaker, im interested in any wild mushroom recipe ideas you have. i work @ The Wild Mushroom Bar&Grill and we're always looking for new signature recipe idea's for specials.

:(

if you can find it...there is a small winery out of St Thomas that produces maple wine(sort of like ice-wine)..what you do is coat chicken breast in flour..cook and set aside.....in a pan...heat up olive oil..some finely minced garlic and onions....then add a medley of whatever mushrooms you may be able to have on hand....add the maple wine....then the chicken breats..it will reduce into a nice sauce and the flour coating on the chicken will thicken it...there's one idea anyways...the possibilities are endless.

I have seen butt loads of mushrooms in my area, I have know Idea if there even safe to eat, there is a giant field behind me, and a forested/meadow like area a few clicks north of me, might be worth checkin out. I got a few ideas for wild mushrooms and fish.

youa re talking about the Eco park at Niagara and Lakeshore Joey. that goes all the way down to the old sand piles. there's always a ton of mushrooms growing in that place, especially around the ponds.

Found out why you guys couldn't post here. Should be fine now.

Jack that sounds awesome. It was just in the news that a local ice wine maker is now going to produce an ice syrup. That should work I guess but the maple sounds like a more unique meal as it comes from the forests as do the shrooms.

• 1 month later...

was reading this and as a person interested in mycology i would recommend u pick those mushrooms and make spore prints from which u can find id's online u can then also cultivate ur own in a growing medium. Resources are available on google for more info.

was reading this and as a person interested in mycology i would recommend u pick those mushrooms and make spore prints from which u can find id's online u can then also cultivate ur own in a growing medium. Resources are available on google for more info.

That's good to know. kinda late in the season now but I did find some nice looking shrooms under the leaves during a fall cleanup yesterday.

Got any links as an example?

Archived