Rec Canal this morning

DarkEdge

Definitely did my part to remove an invasive species from the waters. 23 gobies now rest in the bellies of some very happy seagulls.

Threw some cranks and traps for pike for about 40 minutes. Not a bite. Is there a place, lure, or secret I don't yet know about? I know they're in there. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? :tease:

I always have found that both Pike and Bass love the good old twister tail jig setup. White and Yellow seem to work very well for the Rec when shore fishing. Just slow it down a bit as the weather cools down, and be sure to give it a good jig or two every little bit when reeling in.

Something I didn't use the other day. White twisters with a black head. Keep it simple for pike.

Three inch twisters a good choice? They'd better be, they're the only size I have in white.

I have some 6" white twisters ......looking for the hungry monsters in there . You can add a spinner in front of the twister for the big old pike that can't see too good..... :tease: I like to use a float there also , down about 20' , depending on how far out the float is ......Using xl minnows or 5"+ chubs usually get their attention .

ahh don't listen to these guys...just ask them who has won in the past at any single little pike fishin get together-derby day we have shared together at the Rec :tease: and PS...it's too warm out still :tease:

listen.....listen .....jwl's a$$ is sucking wind again :tease: ....He got a lucky hit from a starving pike that swallowed his rig & he dropped a load in his pants !!! If you can repeat that performance JW , I'll buy you a beer ! :tease:

Keep at it Edge. What were the weed beds lookin like? still thick and lushish? where abouts were ya? dain city or further north?

Fishing a few hundred metres south of the Lincoln St. launch. The weed beds were still fairly thick, but I've seen them far worse down there. I tried throwing cranks and raps along the deep water edge of them, but couldn't find anything. I didn't think about throwing a spinner until I was halfway home.

white spinner bait with a curly tail or a double tail works awesome. all Pike and Muskie I caught this year were with that rig. except for one Muskie in Port D that I caught on a bucktail.

listen.....listen .....jwl's a$$ is sucking wind again :rolleyes: ....He got a lucky hit from a starving pike that swallowed his rig & he dropped a load in his pants !!! If you can repeat that performance JW , I'll buy you a beer ! :angry:

HAHAHAHA love it !!!

as for a derby tell me when and where i'll donate my money ! lol

I think I'm goin'a hit the Rec again Tuesday morning again, after I drop the wife off at work. This time I'll try the white spinners, and maybe a spoon or two. Might even take my salmon glows down there, since they're really all the spoons I have at the moment (need to stop losing the other ones).

Anyone who wants to join me, I'll be parking at the Lincoln St. launch, sometime around 9AM. I'll probably only fish an hour or two, unless anyone else shows up to teach me how it's done.

Archived