Where to get pepperettes made?

FishyWishy

• 1 month later...

Hi fellas,

I have a question. I have a good amount of moose in the freezer (just got one up north). and I was wondering where I could get some of it turned into pepperettes in the area.

Thanks.

Niagara Sausage on Ridge rd in Welland has by far the best pepperettes around, and they use natural wood smoke. They also make (or at least used to) the sausages for the guys outside Canadian Tire. I believe their number is 905 734 3948

Niagara Sausage on Ridge rd in Welland has by far the best pepperettes around, and they use natural wood smoke. They also make (or at least used to) the sausages for the guys outside Canadian Tire. I believe their number is 905 734 3948

I just called them and they told me the only wild game they do is venison and it has to be boneless and clean.

I had mine done at Joe's Meats and Deli in Port Colborne (Fares Road)on the advice of a friend that uses them a lot. He made them, 15lbs pepperettes and 10 lb pepperoni, with 1/2 my moose (14 lbs) and 1/2 his pork (11 lbs) (ok not quite 50/50 as I had brought in more moose than required). Then I hung them in the workshop in my basement (with ceiling fan running for good airflow) until they were dried to my liking. Took down the pepperettes Saturday. Just took down the pepperoni last night. Can't complain...I likes them.

I just called them and they told me the only wild game they do is venison and it has to be boneless and clean.

In all technicality Venison includes Moose...My meat is all boneless and clean. Had the original butchering done in Kirkland Lake after 7 days hanging in a cool garage out of the sun....before I came home...damned that meat is good and tender.

It would be interesting to have a taste test of the various local sausage guys' offerings though.

FW

You might want to consider making some beef (moose) jerky......so good ! My moose hunting bud used to make an excellent jerky from moose steaks . He made a brine up and used the food dehydrator to dry the meat to suit your own taste . Nice to take some ice fishing etc .

there's a lot of recipes on jerky & moose is considered excellent meat for it . here's just one link of many ....You can use a smoker or dehydrator & the results are gooooood . :wub:

http://www.ehow.com/...oose-jerky.html

You might want to consider making some beef (moose) jerky......so good ! My moose hunting bud used to make an excellent jerky from moose steaks . He made a brine up and used the food dehydrator to dry the meat to suit your own taste . Nice to take some ice fishing etc .

there's a lot of recipes on jerky & moose is considered excellent meat for it . here's just one link of many ....You can use a smoker or dehydrator & the results are gooooood . :wub:

http://www.ehow.com/...oose-jerky.html

I have a great recipe for moose jerky. Real jerky from roasts or steaks (not the ground type - yecht). Soaked overnight in a brine solution and then dried in the oven (hund from the top rack with skewers) at the lowest temp setting possible for 6-10 hours.

Haven't decided to make any yet...as that will make my moose meat very short lived (I am a recovering jerky addict)

FW

Archived