Port Colborne

gottobecdn

Was thinking about doing a little perching somewhere out near Abino tomorrow morning. Anyone have any insight on the weather conditions for the AM?

Im only running a 16' with a 25hp handles water good but always a little cautious going out by myself this time of year. Little late to get many responses so may have to take the 40min drive to see for myself(wife likes to sleep in anyways)...if thats the case and fishing doesn't happen ill let you guys know what i see.

As of right now there are 3 foot waves and the wind is diminishing. I will be picking up my father in a bit and will be doing some perching. If we can't get out on the lake we can always go down the canal.

Well got out there yesterday from 11-3pm... managed to get a couple dozen in the 9-12" range. Wind was blowing that cold air around and waves were probally in the 1.5 - 2' range. My anchor wasn't heavy enough so ended up drifting bouncing bottom in about 45-50 fow. Had the float suit on so i stayed nice and toasty. Gotta invest in a heavier anchor for next season, will be winterizing the boat in a couple of weeks so here's to hoping for another couple decent days....after that BRING ON THE HARD WATER!

Well got out there yesterday from 11-3pm... managed to get a couple dozen in the 9-12" range. Wind was blowing that cold air around and waves were probally in the 1.5 - 2' range. My anchor wasn't heavy enough so ended up drifting bouncing bottom in about 45-50 fow. Had the float suit on so i stayed nice and toasty. Gotta invest in a heavier anchor for next season, will be winterizing the boat in a couple of weeks so here's to hoping for another couple decent days....after that BRING ON THE HARD WATER!

I use to have the same problem with anchoring on Erie. Traded in that heavy anchor and bought a 4lb Fortress anchor. Have a 19 footer aluminum and it holds great!

By rights the anchor does not hold you adequately. It is the length of chain and it's weight on the bottom that actually holds you. Try tying on a 10-15' section of good chain between anchor and rope. It will make a huge difference.

By rights the anchor does not hold you adequately. It is the length of chain and it's weight on the bottom that actually holds you. Try tying on a 10-15' section of good chain between anchor and rope. It will make a huge difference.

that was my plan, but i snapped off my chain chewers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived