Can you ice fish the quarries in Port Colborne?

FishyWishy

Also alot of sunfish if that interest you.

I'm sure you can fish them, just watch the quarry ice, they freeze funny. They don't have gradual shorelines that lock ice in, they have straight drops. The rock walls heat and make real bad spots during sunny weather.

if you go to the quarries on quarrie road in wainfleet they only have a steep drop along one edge, most of the pond has a shallow slope. the depth is between 12 and 15 feet.if you know where the weedless spots are you can generally find some decent perch and sunfish. i know there are crappie in there but i have terrible luck(or bad technique)with those little buggers

be very carful fishing those quarrys i grew up in fleet and know every honey hole possible i ice fish almost everyday!!! if you go from hwy 3 trun rht on quarry rd and to the bridge go on rht side of bridge just out from the bridge its quite deep there no offense to the other ppl here but the depth thats posted is incorrect right out along that wall is 20 plus feet that side of quarry has alot of ledges and humps due to thge way the rock was mined!! in summeer months i can wade from shore all the way out to islands along the tops of the humps!! off first sml island depth is 30feet and i have caught several 6lbers off that also a friend lonmg time ago has a 8lber mounted from same spot theres aLOT OF PERCH just have to find em usually by bridge is best also crappies are loaded just like perch are very picky a camera is a big help but please be safe as i knoe alot of ppl who have gone threw there cheers and if u wanna go sometime lemme know ill take ya and put you on em !!!

i dont know your age bucky but if 1985 is the year you were born you dont know what i do about that quarry. back in the early 70's we used to ride our bikes in the bottom of the pit. the only water in there was under the bridge and along the southern edge of both quarries. if you go to southeast corner which is one of the deeper spots you will see some cars in the water. they are obviously sitting on the bottom and you can see them plain as day. ive also snorkeled in there and swam to the bottom and i dont think i can dive thirty feet.

i dont know your age bucky but if 1985 is the year you were born you dont know what i do about that quarry. back in the early 70's we used to ride our bikes in the bottom of the pit. the only water in there was under the bridge and along the southern edge of both quarries. if you go to southeast corner which is one of the deeper spots you will see some cars in the water. they are obviously sitting on the bottom and you can see them plain as day. ive also snorkeled in there and swam to the bottom and i dont think i can dive thirty feet.

Can you drive a truck down there near the shoreline, or do you have to walk in from the road?

Thinking in terms of dog training.

Glass & garbage an issue?

Apparently much like the sign by the bridge on Quarrie Road states "Stay off the Ice", according to the NPCA ice fishing is NOT allowed in the Wainfleet Wetlands ponds, here's a copy and paste of the response I received from them today because I wouldn't have minded trying them out but I'd seen the stay off the ice signs other years:

Thank you for your inquiry about fishing at the Wainfleet Wetlands Conservation Area and its quarry area on Quarry Road in Wainfleet.

Fishing is a permitted activity as per the Ontario fishing seasons with a valid fishing licence. Ice fishing at the site however is NOT permitted due to safety concerns. This applies for the entire property including the Quarry ponds, clay pits and other water areas on the property.

Should you have any additional questions on the above or any of our other Conservation Areas please let us know. We can be reached via email or by phone at 905-788-3135.

Enjoy your time at the Conservation Areas in Niagara.

Kim Frohlich

Ecologist

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

250 Thorold Road West, 3rd Floor

Welland, Ontario, L3C 3W2

phone: (905) 788-3135 ext. 241

fax : (905) 788-1121

Now if you're talking the quarry ponds right in Port Colborne then that might be another story.

methinks the "stay off the ice" signs are for liability purposes but they do have an active pump at that location to control the water level after heavy rains and runoff.i think if you stay away from the bridge and enter the ice from the north which has a gentle slope,and drill holes as you go you should be alright.i have ice fished there in the past and never been kicked off.

Archived