Say Goodbye To Gate 12 Access !

Sirfishalot

Just to let you guys know that visit the gate 12 access on Glendale ave that it is being closed off to all access except for plant traffic and construction crews. It was only a matter of time......

Another one bites the dust Thom ! I cannot blame the city or private owners from fencing up or posting their properties . We all know the reasons , and I am sure, 99 % of us who post on fishing boards do not leave their garbage at these places .

I think there's two main reasons for the gate twelve fences. One is the folks who stumbled upon an old lock filled with some sort of yellow goo. The Seaway will have to pay dearly for that clean up and there's bound to be more. They mentioned at the time of the article that although its good someone caught it, they had to trespass to do so.

Another reason is pressure from the Americans to properly secure the Canal. You can bet the next generation will find the entire seaway fenced off. It's futile but what the Americans want they get eventually.

Thirdly have you seen the cave in there? With so much block falling and so many people using these areas it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed.

4thly it is a major dumping ground. Not so much anglers as roadside drop offs.

I've caught pike by the damn. I believe there may be another area thats connected to where I fish where i dont have to to trespass.

I've caught pike by the dam. I believe there may be another area thats connected to where I fished, where i dont have to to trespass.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

I have caught pike, carp, cats, sheephead, smallies, and salmon (in the fall) ... I loved fishing it because it was very peaceful but would have to agree with shutting it down due to some stupidity of people. None of the fish caught come with any great size except for the carp, seen a few bruisers in the 30 pound range, only ever landed the 10 and under ones though. The pike and smallies never came with any size either ... not much chance for growth as that channel would be drained every 2 to 4 years depending on where the construction was ongoing leaving nothing too deep for the fish to hide out in ... in ice out ... there would be a lot of floating fish if it was a drained system there.

Why it should be closed?

1. The Seaway closed up the Blue Ghost Tunnel a few years back ... people smashed their way in ... no property respect and liability problems

2. The old canal is used as a dumping ground for cars .... at one point there was 3 or 4 in one of the old locks ...

3. Garbage being dumped (any and everything)

4. There is no chance of ever turning it into a green space when the 4 x 4s are in there ripping it up

5. People still swim in there and every few years someone drowns

6. Seen some people march on through to their pot plants ... certain areas have crops being planted in that property. Never found one but never looked ... seen people going through with not your every day hiking items ... machettes, cutters (both for branches and wires), etc

7. Safety ... a few of the old lock walls have started to collapse in .... plus there is that golf course ... nearly got plunked ... missed me by 15 feet or so.

Is the fishing good enough to keep it open? No.

Talked to one of the business managers on Friday and he said it was the liability issue. On any given weekend there are about 10 or better trucks with trailers that bring in thier modified ATV's and such and it is only a matter of time that someone gets killed and the Seaway /and GM will be liable.It was actually put in motion a few years back when the suv rolled over in the creek and the guy was killed,some of you will remember this. But with planning /red tape it has taken this long to actually do it....but of course as a GM employee,I will have gate access..for at least a couple of more years. :).

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

I decided to drive by today on the way home from work ... it looks like everything will remain accessible to those who walk/bike (pedal and not a motorbike) with how some things have been put in place ... just no where to legally park ...

i played at royal niagara golf course today and heard the atvs and trucks ripping around all day

If bicycles can run the trails you will probably see motorized vehicles too . I walked the trail s of the 12 Mile Creek on Saturday & saw both atv tracks & dirt bike tracks . These trails have deep ruts from erosion from rain and it's not an easy walk with the large rocks exposed . These trails are meant for walkers & peddle bicycles . They do not mix well with guys flying down those trails on machines ......only a matter of time for an accident ! Where are the cops to enforce the rules ? Double double .......

If bicycles can run the trails you will probably see motorized vehicles too . I walked the trail s of the 12 Mile Creek on Saturday & saw both atv tracks & dirt bike tracks . These trails have deep ruts from erosion from rain and it's not an easy walk with the large rocks exposed . These trails are meant for walkers & peddle bicycles . They do not mix well with guys flying down those trails on machines ......only a matter of time for an accident ! Where are the cops to enforce the rules ? Double double .......

Actually I spoke with an OPG CEO who wanted to open up the Twelve Mile corridor for dirtbike and atv recreation. Simple signing there and a speed limit or designated areas for freestyle riding are a good idea. Keep those things out of the wetlands by providing them legal access to the wastelands such as the Twelve Mile Creek corridor.

I must disagree with that Chilli ! The 12 mile pathways are used by many nature walkers , mountain bikers , and of course , anglers . Fast moving dirt bikes & atv's dont mix well with the other users of these trails . I will post a picture of the mess these motorized vehicles have made there. The mnr should look at the damage there . There is a lot of wild life there , from killdeer birds that nest on the rocky flats to deer that walk the trails . It's like a sanctuary in that valley for wild life . When the peaceful sounds of the abundant bird life is shattered by the loud nauseating dirt bikes , it turns the place into another " gate 12" . I hope they put severe restrictions on this paradise and enforce strict rules to keep motorized vehicles out . We need more green space like this .

I took a short drive to check out the water vis.today.....nice & cloudy from the rain runoff . Also took the op. to get a few shots of the trail .........

003.JPG

This is near Glendale where we walk & bicycle upstream to some fishing spots

004.JPG

Erosion caused by atv's & dirt bikes .....makes it tough for walking or biking

006.JPG

Another spot that is a mud bath for walkers & bikers

008.JPG

Fire pit and garbage directly across from the " beach"

009.JPG

The "beach" a fav. dump site

011.JPG

The tinged water from the rains is much different from the green water yesterday

Near the bridge there's a sign informing you that a restoration project is in effect for this area .It 's purpose is to re-vegetate the area with trees, shrubs , wildflowers & grass to improve stability of the soil , water quality & increase habitat of a variety of birds & animal species . This is why I am not happy to see this place destroyed by motorized vehicles.........

Ha ha .....for true SG ! Mixing atv's & dirt bikes with anglers walking the trails or naturalists enjoying the wild life environment is asking for trouble . My own personal view on this is the destruction of habitat as some of the little boys with there toys get their jollies doing the "off the road " thing .

Archived