Upper Niagara

Jacko

Hey guys ! Im looking to put the kayak in on the upper Niagara. Im just curious where to launch and how strong the current is. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys ! Im looking to put the kayak in on the upper Niagara. Im just curious where to launch and how strong the current is. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Upper Niagara is a big river with varying conditions. Are you looking to fish or just go for a good site seeing trip? What kind of fish?

I like the current from Nicholl's to the bottom of Thompson's hole. After fishing I always jump into the current for a little zip past the boat launch. There's a very large backwash there also. From the Fort down to Nicholl's is crazy fast and I can't believe they catch fish from a boat there. Downstream before the Marina it's quick but more relaxing along the shoreline. It's pretty steady the rest of the way to Navy Island and not an easy trip back upstream but do-able.

I haven't tried below Navy Island yet and your not likely to read my report once I've tried but you'd likely see it in the paper :unsure:

Im looking to fish but was concerned about being able to paddle back to my truck if the current was too strong. I've never fished the Niagara but am very intrigued with trying for Musky. I need to vamp up my gear first though. I've been watching some vids and it seems landing one is pretty tricky.

Thompson's hole is your best bet then. The huge backflow allows you to travel back and forth with ease and musky are present there. The current break is a little spooky the first time but after crossing it a couple times you realize how easy it can be. Launch at Nicholl's, paddle down to the bakery Center of the river and get into the roundabout :Gonefishing:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived