The Irresistible X-Rap...

Ola

well, last night we put the canoe out on the harbour for it's maiden voyage after extensive repairs by moi. (good news - it didn't sink!) now it is ready for a fancy paint job.

not to waste any time on the water, we were throwing lures and junior was tossing an x-rap. before too long he hooked into something that put up a ridiculous fight in the twilight. took a good 10 minutes to get it to the surface only to discover it was a 15 lb. carp who sucked both hooks right down its throat. it also managed to bend out the hook points on the middle treble when it resisted arrest.

we've caught them on cleos in the harbour. seen one caught on a lipless crank. never an x-rap. doesn't even look like a doughball at all. in fact, it was the 4" gold/black-backed one cast in very low-light conditions in a weedy area. and that was one aggressive carp with an attitude who was obviously just looking for trouble.

so that means, all caught on x-raps, at last count: smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, sheepshead, perch, pike, musky, rockbass, rainbows, bluegill, and now, carp. i'm beginning to think the only reason we haven't caught any other species is cause we just haven't tossed x-raps at them - yet.

Guest Rockfish

Gold bellied X-rap? That carp could have mistaked it for a corn on the cob treat. :) I'm also a fan of the X-rap but in the chartreuse (clown) colour for pike.

Guest Pike212

X-raps are my personal favorite in my boxes. All the different sizes/colors are really the only lures one would need for any species of fish.

well, last night we put the canoe out on the harbour for it's maiden voyage after extensive repairs by moi. (good news - it didn't sink!) now it is ready for a fancy paint job.

not to waste any time on the water, we were throwing lures and junior was tossing an x-rap. before too long he hooked into something that put up a ridiculous fight in the twilight. took a good 10 minutes to get it to the surface only to discover it was a 15 lb. carp who sucked both hooks right down its throat. it also managed to bend out the hook points on the middle treble when it resisted arrest.

we've caught them on cleos in the harbour. seen one caught on a lipless crank. never an x-rap. doesn't even look like a doughball at all. in fact, it was the 4" gold/black-backed one cast in very low-light conditions in a weedy area. and that was one aggressive carp with an attitude who was obviously just looking for trouble.

so that means, all caught on x-raps, at last count: smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, sheepshead, perch, pike, musky, rockbass, rainbows, bluegill, and now, carp. i'm beginning to think the only reason we haven't caught any other species is cause we just haven't tossed x-raps at them - yet.

X-raps are the bees knees. More proof showing carp are not just bottem feeders. I have friends who catch carp on the fly. There are lot's of misconceptions regarding them and a number of other species. Last week I caught a sheepshead on pineapple boilie. That was the first time I have ever heard of that.

My fav. lure is the J-11 or J-13 , colour depends on water conditions . I will use a 3 way set up to sink them close to bottom in deeper water . I still have many raps of all sizes and some large old rebels in good shape . I caught a nice 11" perch yesterday on a 3" black & silver tube while fishing the 12 Mile . Rock bass, smallies and pike also have grabbed these tubes . I think fish will chase most anything that passes by , sometimes because they are curious , hungry , or just being macho . Ola is right , carp have this attitude ......" I ain't going anywhere " !!.:glare:

Archived