Turkeys And Chukars

Rachel M

Around the farm we've seemed to have a influx of wildlife lately. We've seen a turkey hen wandering around, eating grain the horses drop, and the dog has brought us back 3 turkey eggs, one of which was warm (Although its rather out of season). We've also seen what we thought was a quail. But, today I got the chance to get up and close with it, and it turns out that this new friend is a chukar, a form of partridge from Eurasia/Pakistan. It's been around the dirt driveway, and bare dirt in the paddocks, where it matches colours perfectly. That, plus food and a pond seems to be attracting the birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukar_Partridge

Although they're not native, they've been showing up more and more, with some largely populated areas out west. We've got a guy nearby that has peacocks (judging by the calls at all hours of the day), and we think maybe that's where this new arrival came from. Either way, a neat bird.

Chukar are supposed to be great game birds, known for rapid flight, quick changes in direction and sudden flushes: a real challenge for an upland game hunter. But what concerns me is whether or not they are a legal introduction.

Well we figured out that if we give him horse grain, you can get about 5 feet or so away from him. Neat little bird that seems to be sticking around. The dog flushed him out in a paddock the other day and he flew like a bullet. I've read some people say that they aren't the greatest tasting? Either way, we're content to leave him be, since he picks up what food the horses drop, and keeps down some of bugs that seem attracted to it. He's got very little fear of humans.

Back in the 60's we hunted hungarian partridge . They are similar to chuckars and very fast flyers . We would find them in the fields in small groups and most hunters used dogs to give them a little time to get their shotguns ready to fire . Woodkok ( sp).:rolleyes: was another fast bird hunters pursued , but there is more meat on a pigeon :)

http://www.souriswl.ca/partridge.html

Archived