Lake Gibson Stinks

YakFisher

Hi all. Im new to the site and to kayaking, but not to fishing.

So I decided to try out lake gibson on my kayak today because I had heard some good things about it. when I first get there, I notice a strange smell (which I am still reaking of as I write this). But I continued on, cause I wanted to give it a try. I launched in and started to figure out where to snag some fish. I trolled, I flipped, I threw a frog, I jigged. used everything I could think of for this area and nothing. then I decided to try the other side of beaverdams, so I headed towards the bridge. wow, the current is strong around the bridge. I flipped a tube towards the rocky shore and Finally got a friggin fish. just a tiny little smallmouth though. so i crossed to the other side and tried my best again, but to no avail. Finally packed it in and had a hell of a time getting back to the other side. the current under the bridge is insanely strong.

any feedback about what I was doing wrong, or about my experience, I would love it. All I know is I am never going to Gibson again.

Not trying to be a dick, but why would you ask for feedback or advice and then proceed to bluntly say that you're never going back there again??

If you went out on Erie and didn't catch anything and the waves were too big for your liking does that mean there aren't any fish in the lake and you'd tell everyone that lake erie is a crap fishery?

Dear yakfisher,

There has been quite a bit of discussion here as to whether it is legal to kayak those waters. According to the Ontario Power Generation OPG it's off limits. Some OPG employees say it's not enforced. One way to get it enforced however is to navigate unknown waters and get yourself in a jam. Those waters can be dangerous as they are controlled by hydro dams so please be careful and have the necessary safety gear.

Kayaks and canoes can be dangerous if you don't have any knowledge of the water. Don't go exploring below Navy Island or you'll find out the hard way. Gibson is a good one to explore from shore first. Know before hand where you can or can't go. I recommend the pleasure boat operators course as it could help you recognize dangerous waters before you get in them.

Just to let you know "Snagging fish" is not a good term to use for angling here. I know in the states it has a different meaning but here it likens to poaching. I think it's good that your never going back to Gibson but check out the some other posts here to find good kayaking locations. A little tip from my experience. Kayak new waters without fishing the first time. get to know the waters first then go back and find the fish next time. :Gonefishing:

Not trying to be a dick, but why would you ask for feedback or advice and then proceed to bluntly say that you're never going back there again??

If you went out on Erie and didn't catch anything and the waves were too big for your liking does that mean there aren't any fish in the lake and you'd tell everyone that lake erie is a crap fishery?

ok, when you say "not trying to be a dick" then say something dickish, it still makes you a dick.

thats off my chest, but as for the lake, I know there is fish in there, I was just ranting about my experience that day. The time I spent was completely horrible, I just enjoy a good day of paddling, but I would have liked to have caught a few fish.

Dear yakfisher,

There has been quite a bit of discussion here as to whether it is legal to kayak those waters. According to the Ontario Power Generation OPG it's off limits. Some OPG employees say it's not enforced. One way to get it enforced however is to navigate unknown waters and get yourself in a jam. Those waters can be dangerous as they are controlled by hydro dams so please be careful and have the necessary safety gear.

Kayaks and canoes can be dangerous if you don't have any knowledge of the water. Don't go exploring below Navy Island or you'll find out the hard way. Gibson is a good one to explore from shore first. Know before hand where you can or can't go. I recommend the pleasure boat operators course as it could help you recognize dangerous waters before you get in them.

Just to let you know "Snagging fish" is not a good term to use for angling here. I know in the states it has a different meaning but here it likens to poaching. I think it's good that your never going back to Gibson but check out the some other posts here to find good kayaking locations. A little tip from my experience. Kayak new waters without fishing the first time. get to know the waters first then go back and find the fish next time. :Gonefishing:

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I saw the sign with the warnings about the area. My interpretation of the sign was as more of a warning, then as a rule.

as for the "snagging fish" term. lighten up, it is just a figure of speech.

There are a lot of fish there Yak , but sometimes the bite is just not there . We just had a thread about wind or pressure changes & Hammercarp answered it quite thoroughly . When the fish aren't in an aggressive mood , live bait usually gets you a few fish , especially while shore fishing . The shore fish are probably there looking for a snack .:Gonefishing:

Archived