Woodcock

roadrunner

Got this guy a little while back. Really hard to find but when you know where to look it makes it alot easier. Man these little guys are hard to hit. I went 1 for 3 on the day. They dart all over! But man are they ever tasty! Anyone else have any luck with woodcock this year?

2011-10-01153717.jpg

I've never hunted them simply because I haven't seen enough of them. When I do see them they usually scare the crap out of me because they wait until you almost step on them and then they fly up in your face and peep peep peep away across the woods

I ran into 2 this year , once while hunting and once on a walk, never shot at it, caught me off guard, i will tell you something there definetly making a comeback in Niagara on the Lake, due to lack of hunter I would say is the reason

Aside from tasting like liver, they're fun to hunt. Just as it's pulling up on legal shoot time in the morning and evenings, they cannot resist the lights coming from a quad. They'll land right in front of you, and won't move. That's how pretty much everyone hunts them up north.

I use 7 1/2 shot for most small bird/upland game. I don't think a 22 is a good bet, stick with shot. They have a tiny breast on them, barely worthwhile. If you hit em with a 22, you'll probably wreck what little meat is there. Very hard to find during the daylight hours, but like I said, hit the trails in very early morn or late eve. They like the pebbles and puddles during low light. They will fly right down from trees and into the headlights on the trails.

Im sure an 8 would do the trick aswell, yea unless its a brain shot .22 is not the best choice. Alot of bunnys upnorth aswell i can imagine, snowshoes and cottons, near the edge of the trails in the early morning and evening

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up guys, the motherload of woodcock have arrived!! A well trained dog will definitely help increase your chances at finding these little guys hiding in the thickets.... it's just knocking them down that's the hard part!! :P A good friend of mine and his wire haired pointer and my lab had a great day over the weekend working together.... Plus had a couple of beautiful drake mallards from earlier in the morning as a bonus for the dogs.... Enjoy!Wyattandwoodcock.jpg

Archived