Deer Draw

pike007

No i didnt bother this year with the shotgun hunt down here this year. Its always a disaster. Running into other hunters who are clearly tresspassing and they try to tell you that they arent. Last year i had a big buck coming my way, he was almost in range and all of a sudden he just took off running. 5 minites later someone walks out of the bush. Boy my dad an I had a few words with him for being on my dads property. Theres just way too many people sneaking and crawling around down here. I mean theres the hunters that actually respect the propertys that they can and cant hunt on and then there is the others that seem to thinks everywhere is fair game. That being said ill be heading to some private property close to north bay instead. I love hunting up there. Good luck everyone.

No i didnt bother this year with the shotgun hunt down here this year. Its always a disaster. Running into other hunters who are clearly tresspassing and they try to tell you that they arent. Last year i had a big buck coming my way, he was almost in range and all of a sudden he just took off running. 5 minites later someone walks out of the bush. Boy my dad an I had a few words with him for being on my dads property. Theres just way too many people sneaking and crawling around down here. I mean theres the hunters that actually respect the propertys that they can and cant hunt on and then there is the others that seem to thinks everywhere is fair game. That being said ill be heading to some private property close to north bay instead. I love hunting up there. Good luck everyone.

Amen I'll never hunt shotgun around here. The properties I did get were only because I agreed to confront the trespassers for these two weeks. They don't care and even when you call the cops they get away with it. The landowner who gets fed up and fires a round over their heads will end up losing his gun and doing time. These guys really are the shame of the hunting community. :th_fudd::ph34r:

Lucky I have a old friend from work who has 19 acres in the falls, great spot where deer bed down and the property backs on to soy beans on one side and corn on the other, kind of a dream spot, Ive seen over 20 deer this pass week, but im hunting with bow so I can never get them in range, wait until Nov 7th i hope to have one opening day. :th_fudd: .... but i am going to wait for a buck :P

That's part of the attraction to bow hunting :ArcherySmiley: . That and the skinning video of the deer that was shot with a gun shows how much meat is actually wasted to trauma. You don't get trauma with archery except for the organs maybe.

Today is a good day to venture out and look for a spot to hang a stand. These strong winds will disperse your scent molecules before they get a chance to stick to anything as well it will prevent you from sweating. Remember the deer like to use the path of least resistance so if you can identify a funnel then your on the right track. Now find one that's easy to get to so you don't get busted going in or out and your set.

It's all about discipline now. Sit for hours without moving to scratch and never get busted going on or off your stand. If legal shoot time is coming to an end but deer are close by your stuck if their in range but it's too dark. You have to wait until they are gone and you must unload your bow without getting busted.

I've seen the shotgun and how these animals are shot (by groups) and it doesn't look near as exciting as feeling your heart pounding out of your chest because that animal is so close that if you blink it might bust you.

If you have the dream location don't give up on archery. The shotgun season is far easier and it's about getting meat for the freezer. This can be done by deer drives if you fail to get a deer by archery anyways. Archery is about blending in, listening, watching and most of all not getting busted by anything including the tattletail birds and squirrels :blahblah1:

Hunt both! The only way to take part in a controlled hunt, is with a good group of guys that all have the week off, on some good property (outside of niagara) that isn't over run with people. Find that, and it's just as fun as the bow hunt.

Two completely different kinds of hunting. Nothing compares to bow hunting, and nothing compares to seeing a bunch of deer in overdrive running out the other side of a bush being driven.

Archived