Mnr Down In Port Tonight

Helron

The MNR and the regional police were down in Port blitzing the area, handed out a couple of fines for fishing past the pedestrian bridge. He and a regional cop then proceeded to check all of our licences, which I had no problem with. I then said to him it would be nice to get some clarification as to the areas we can and cannot fish, and his smart ass answer was don't you see fences. As I don't and never have fished under the bridge I said well the area between Tredwells and Lincoln Fabrics is not fenced so does that mean you can fish there, and he got snarky and replied that it is private property. I responded that it is a parking lot which has public access so if the buisnesses did not prohibit fishing, then it must be okay to fish there to which I never got a response. I am all for the MNR enforcing fishing rules and actually have wished that they made the precence more visable, but at the same time can't help but think there has got to be a better way to educate people about rules that are not in the regulations. Also a little politeness goes a long way when the MNR officer is shown politeness, as all the guys down there tonight were!

The MNR and the regional police were down in Port blitzing the area, handed out a couple of fines for fishing past the pedestrian bridge. He and a regional cop then proceeded to check all of our licences, which I had no problem with. I then said to him it would be nice to get some clarification as to the areas we can and cannot fish, and his smart ass answer was don't you see fences. As I don't and never have fished under the bridge I said well the area between Tredwells and Lincoln Fabrics is not fenced so does that mean you can fish there, and he got snarky and replied that it is private property. I responded that it is a parking lot which has public access so if the buisnesses did not prohibit fishing, then it must be okay to fish there to which I never got a response. I am all for the MNR enforcing fishing rules and actually have wished that they made the precence more visable, but at the same time can't help but think there has got to be a better way to educate people about rules that are not in the regulations. Also a little politeness goes a long way when the MNR officer is shown politeness, as all the guys down there tonight were!

So did anyone get fined for fishing under the bridge or was it just the people that were up past where the fence starts at the end of the bridge towards the dam?

Not really sure he said you cannot fish on or from the start of the bridge, upto the road at the other end so assuming that means anywhere even under. I believe the two guys that were fined while I was there were under the bridge.

Not really sure he said you cannot fish on or from the start of the bridge, upto the road at the other end so assuming that means anywhere even under. I believe the two guys that were fined while I was there were under the bridge.

Sad!! :wall:

I ran into him on Friday night down at Jordan. I find it kinda weird that the NRP was with him. He was pleasant to deal with, he searched my bag and truck.

We've been trying to get the message out here for quite some time. We have asked the mouth several times and got the same answers. Everything on the West side starting at the bridge to the 4 falls is not permissible for fishing. This is due to Property owners (the city) prohibiting access and the fact it's illegal to fish 75 feet from a fish barrier. The fence keeps getting cut and the no TP signs get ripped down ensuring any attempt to negotiate access will forever be denied.

As I understood it the area between Treadwells and LF was fenced. Has this changed? If so then you are correct and if the landowner wants it off limits they must post it.

For the record a fence is equal to a no trespassing sign. If there is a fence you must contact the landowner and get permission to access and fish there. In an area like this it is best to obtain written permission to show the police/CO.

This comes up every year and is well debated. It surprises me that it's still such a shock to anyone

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Doesn't surprise me he had the nrp with him. Safety first if it was only one CO.

He was probably a tad rude as I am sure he was seeing people down there that get warnings about it and constantly hears the same question or arguement in that spot.

I am pretty sure the treadwells parking lot is signed restaurant guests only all others to be towed. Or it was at one point.

I was not conrontational at all, he just seemed pissed that I questioned him. The reason I asked was the other night I saw some people fishing in that area, and like I stated it is not fenced. It was just curiousity more then anything. Like I stated I have never fished anywhere beyond the bridge, always fish behind the legion. P.S. was wondering who would I contact regarding garbage bins behind the legion, was one there last year which I used often to clean up after the slobs that were too lazy to walk the ten yards to dispose of their garbage. It is gone and the nearest one is down a ways past the parking lot.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

If it's the 55 gallon drums ... Parks and rec. A third Party looks after it. Should be emptied twice a week ... Depending on the contract it migh have been removed as the third party stops service to certain areas at certain times.

Mia cans ... Prolly tossed in. Definitely parks and rec.

Completely off topic from this thread, but the garbage bins reminded me of this and I dont want to make a whole thread about it but.. are there, or have there ever been garbage bins down in the whirlpool? I can see it being a pain in the ass for the city to go down and empty them I guess.. so thats probably why they are only at the top?

But if they did put some down at the bottom I bet it would help out a lot because there are a lot of people down there, tourists mainly, but also fisherman im sure that probably just dont want to carry their garbage up. I hate seeing piles of garbage when I'm down there. I always put mine in my backpack to bring up. Just feel like if it were possible to get a couple garbage cans down there it would help out a bit.

Sorry to get off topic on your thread

Last spring a big blue plastic barrel washed ashore so I stood it upright and put a big rock in the bottom to deter idiots from throwing it in, when I returned the next day with a garbage bag the barrel was gone. I filled the bag with trash on shore and continued to fish my day away..

It would be nice to have trash cans atleast near the end of the trail but I don't believe it's in the budget lol

About trash ......it's much easier (lighter) to take out than carry in . It's that simple , but too many anglers don't care about our environment . I was appalled to see the garbage at Port Dal on the west side today ,complete with balls a heavy fishing line . Granted , some of this garbage came from others who are not anglers but have the same low life mentality . No body was fishing under the ped.bridge today .....word travels fast !:rolleyes:

Picked up 3 empty ice cream tubs, a kitty litter pail, chicken liver packs and a 12 pack of empties on the welland river today.....absolutely ignorant!

Yup, people just don't seem to get it. Even outside of the sportsman arena to the country as a whole. If everyone would just do their part imagine how clean the country would be. I caught my 14 year old daughter watch a paper wrapper from a Timmys straw blow out of the molded plastic panel on my car door she seems to be fond of using as a trash can, blow out into the driveway. She watches it sail past her, proceeds to grab her iPod and cell phone, shuts the car door and proceeds to head toward our front door. I call out to her, "really" as I point to the wrapper making it's way toward the neighbors yard. In teenage girl dramatic fashion, like I totally inconvienenced her she says, "what's the big deal, it's just paper, why do I have to get it"? Wow! wrong answer, I wanted to tare her a new page both for the lack of respect for me and the environment. I took a deep breath and simply replied, "because it's such an easy thing to do, why wouldn't you"?

Archived