Curing Rainbows And Brown Roe.

BrendanMitchell

was at port on sunday and had the pleasure of catching some bows n browns, 1 bow and 1 brown were nice plump females. so i have my roe now and i want to cure it my only issue is when i cure my salmon roe it normally ends up sticky and the bags dont last as long as a store bought. I never minded considering i had pounds of fresh roe to use and i found when they were sticky i generally had more hits then with a store bought. So my issue is i want to cure this new roe for a more "bouncy" feel so its lasts longer...i am using atlas shake n cure the natural kind...could i get some quick suggestions? thanks

Personally i simply water harded them... Must use the same water they were taken from though.. let sit in water for 8-10 then drain and freeze the amounts you want to tie for a outing...

Cliff

Guest NiagaraNewbie

what cliff said if they are loose, dont do anything but water harden with river water, but make sure its not below 40C. You can add a sprinkling of Pickling salt to make em more rubbery, but not too much. if they go off colour, there are other things you can do as well.

i heard people talking about this...unfortunitly i dont have any of the water anymore..i used atlas shake n cure...applied let sit in juices for 30 mins...strained and waiting to find out whats next...lol

what do you mean by drain and freeze the amounts i want for an outing? the ones im not using i leave in the water?

Guest NiagaraNewbie

Yikes. I think Cliff means that once the eggs are ready, seperate them into small baggies enough in each for one fishing trip, seal them with as little air then freeze. You should get atleast 20 baggies from 2 fish.

I mean jar enough for a days use.. babyfood jars work great.. To make them air tight put a match in the top and light it and seal quickly so the avail air gets used up making it air tight..

Hope this helps

Cliff

Go to any film finishing place and ask for the old film canisters, they just send them out to get recylced. I used to have garbage bags full of them. May not be as many now in the digital world, but free is always good. I used to put a piece of waxed paper over the canister before putting the lid on.

spice bottles at the dollar store are great! 3 for a buck! Also heres a little bit of a tip I got from a seasoned pro. once the eggs are ready to package put then on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer once they almost freeze and they will fast. put them into a freezersmall or medium ziplock,just enough to cover one layer when layed flat. then suck out as much air as you can. or if you have a sealer it works awesome. Remember they have to be about frozen or they will just splatter flat when you suck out the air and you are left with mush...not good.. Then label them with the date and use accordingly.There should be enough in one bag to tie up about 30 to 40 small bags and about 25 bigger ones.

Have to agree with steelshady,much better results with non cured eggs especially brown eggs.I put mine in a strainer once they drain put them on a pizza box or something simular.I let mine dry untill sticky.Always freeze mine in medicine jars or film containers filled right to the top

Just take your eggs sprinkle them until coated with borax and then put in ziplocs and your all set.

If you really want to catch fish in the winter your eggs should be runnier then your nose and smell like garlic bread but maybe i just like eating pizza?

good luck.

I have Brown eggs just caught tues i haven't had time they are loose in a ziplock in the fridge will they be ok for a while? never tied roe bags before any advice would be appreciated! can it be done in the field?

You can tie them in the field, but better to do it the night before. you can get the mesh and majic thread at any tackle place. Tie a a few differant colours, I like pink, white and chartruse. spoon the eggs into center of mesh....corner up the bag and twist a bit, then rap with majic thread. Its elasticated, so you just rap it a few times pull tight then again rap and pull tight...lthen trim off the excess material. Put into some empty pill bottles and refridgerate.

I water hardened mine this time on someones advice....and I found the eggs turning white after a few drifts. ( Dont know why thats happening)

But I thnk in future, I will go with just the air dry. Im wondering if I can add some colouring to the ones I have frozen before I tie them up the next time I go to use them? I might try that....

Everyone has their own tricks when it comes to eggs. As with any other kind of natural bait, I try to keep mine as natural as possible. The eggs being eaten by fish in the streams and rivers aren't coated in scent, cures, or colours.

When you get fresh roe, get it taken care of immediately. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more it breaks down. The moisture on the egg is what causes the membrane to burst when you freeze them, so as long as you get the majority of the moisture off prior to freezing, they'll be good.

When I used to work at a trout hatchery, I would take eggs, in different cures, colours, scents, etc.. and toss them in the raceway to see how the fish reacted to them. Uncured eggs would be gobbled right up. Most of the commercial cures, such as procure/wizard etc would be grabbed and spit right out. Even the borax eggs would get spit. Doesn't mean they wouldn't work to catch fish, just have to be quicker on the hook set.

With water hardening, you actually don't get a good milking of the egg. When the egg is water hardened, all it does is close the micropyle on the egg which is the tiny hole in the membrane. That's why hatchery techs water harden all the eggs after they have been fertilized, it closes the micropyle, seals the membrane, and prevents anything from getting in or out of the egg. If you don't water harden your eggs, you have an egg that is milking out as it's drifting.

Just have to experiment, some have good luck with cures, scents, and colours.

Everyone has their own tricks when it comes to eggs. As with any other kind of natural bait, I try to keep mine as natural as possible. The eggs being eaten by fish in the streams and rivers aren't coated in scent, cures, or colours.

When you get fresh roe, get it taken care of immediately. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more it breaks down. The moisture on the egg is what causes the membrane to burst when you freeze them, so as long as you get the majority of the moisture off prior to freezing, they'll be good.

When I used to work at a trout hatchery, I would take eggs, in different cures, colours, scents, etc.. and toss them in the raceway to see how the fish reacted to them. Uncured eggs would be gobbled right up. Most of the commercial cures, such as procure/wizard etc would be grabbed and spit right out. Even the borax eggs would get spit. Doesn't mean they wouldn't work to catch fish, just have to be quicker on the hook set.

With water hardening, you actually don't get a good milking of the egg. When the egg is water hardened, all it does is close the micropyle on the egg which is the tiny hole in the membrane. That's why hatchery techs water harden all the eggs after they have been fertilized, it closes the micropyle, seals the membrane, and prevents anything from getting in or out of the egg. If you don't water harden your eggs, you have an egg that is milking out as it's drifting.

Just have to experiment, some have good luck with cures, scents, and colours.

^This +1

& QFT

Archived