Ice Fishing - Feb/5/2012

Frank81

Drove up to Emsdale on Saturday afternoon with my younger brother, didn't go fishing that night because I put my truck in a ditch and had to call CAA for a winch service, so got up Sunday and to my surprise my step sister was up from Scarborough also and everyone had got their fishing licenses and wanted to go fishing with me and my brother the next morning.

The fishing wasn't hot but being on a lake up north standing on 14 inches of ice and only seeing 4 other anglers that were using a hut was kinda nice.

Wasn't really sure what was in this lake, so we just went with a basic hook/splitshot/minnow setup and got into some splake.

My brother wanted to use my new auger, as he has never ice fished before (barely ever fishes at all, like once a year if he is lucky)

IMG_0220_cleaned.jpg

Me chipping a couple holes that were drilled the night before.

IMG_0233_cleaned.jpg

My six family members who came along, but most didn't stay long, cause they didn't dress for the weather and were cold. haha

IMG_0215_cleaned.jpg

My brothers first fish through the ice, in which him and my step dad wanted to keep but I wanted to release, so i said we better catch more.

IMG_0217_cleaned.jpg

We did...

One of my three

IMG_0234_cleaned.jpg

We ended up with 5 splake but lost a ton, not sure if my hooks were too big or what, but we should of had a feast.

IMG_0230-Copy_cleaned.jpg

Talked to the guys in the hut before we left and they said that the splake were biting alot lately and they had gotten into some Rainbows and one OOS smallmouth earlier in the week, wish we could of got a rainbow or two also, but I won't complain about what we got, just wish we didn't miss so much haha.

awesome post.. theres ice somewhere? lol

Haha, yeah, all the lakes I've scouted between Huntsville and North Bay this winter (been up 5 times since December) have lots of ice, lots of black ice underneath some white ice, everyones been complaining about slush up there but I didn't have a issue this weekend, hard frozen snow and ice.

you need small trout hooks on those fish..

Yeah I had a ton of tackle with me, but I failed to have any hooks small than a 4, not to mention, you realize how expensive fishing is when you supply 6 others with tackle lol.

has everyone missed one of the best parts of these pics? THAT SHINY HUT IN THE BACKGROUND!!!! :worthy:

Haha! yeah that hut was awesome! the guys said that they just built it from scratch over the summer, they tried building it as light as possible with aluminum studs and anywhere else then can get light weight, there was formed plastic on the skis so it would slide easy, it had a home made woodstove, solar panels permanently attached to outside of hut for charging the battery's that they used for lighting and satellite radio haha.

It had two long benches with cushions that could easily accomodate 6 anglers for a day of fishing and the benches were wide and long enough for two people to spend the night in if they wanted.

Good times! Was the pic removed? I dont see it.

Sorry, I removed them as soon as I found out that my gps coordinates were embedded in the photos, I just figured how to wipe the info off them and now I have re-posted them.

Sorry, I removed them as soon as I found out that my gps coordinates were embedded in the photos, I just figured how to wipe the info off them and now I have re-posted them.

It's a good thing i wrote them down WHEW lol

It's a good thing i wrote them down WHEW lol

LOL, I don't worry about guy's like you Cliff, it's the lurkers who don't ever plan on signing up and just read reports but do not contribute to the forum, they don't deserve the easy information.

LOL, I don't worry about guy's like you Cliff, it's the lurkers who don't ever plan on signing up and just read reports but do not contribute to the forum, they don't deserve the easy information.

very well said buddy

Dude! You are killing me! I don't know why I never go

Up in the winter lol. Nice fish,and if You are taking pics on your cell u can shut the

GT's off in your settings. Though last summer I turned them on and took pics of a spot in the middle of our lake where I found a boulder pile. I looked when we got home and it had me over by where you said your parents lived lol.

Dude! You are killing me! I don't know why I never go

Up in the winter lol. Nice fish,and if You are taking pics on your cell u can shut the

GT's off in your settings. Though last summer I turned them on and took pics of a spot in the middle of our lake where I found a boulder pile. I looked when we got home and it had me over by where you said your parents lived lol.

lol, you should just go, There is lots of ice and its been steady in the minus up there, this weekend is suppose to be lows of -18c & -19c ...If I didn't have other plans I would be going back up this weekend myself.

I was able to shut the geotagging crap off my phone and I was able to get a program that cleans you're pictures of all that info. I would not have gave a crap about it, but when I read it, checked it out and put the coordinates on two different sites, it pin pointed me right on the exact lake I was on, not necessarily the exact spot, but just giving away a lake up there is sometimes enough damage lol.

lol, you should just go, There is lots of ice and its been steady in the minus up there, this weekend is suppose to be lows of -18c & -19c ...If I didn't have other plans I would be going back up this weekend myself.

I was just informed by TF that in two weekends we might be heading up there for some ice fishing :D will be my first time fishing the hard water! So excited!

I was just informed by TF that in two weekends we might be heading up there for some ice fishing :D will be my first time fishing the hard water! So excited!

Good stuff, hope you get into a TON of fish!

Archived