Fly Line Repair

cdnfishguy11

Hey guys,

got out for the first time with my fly rod today, just learning to cast...

I had tied a loop knot in a 8ft section on 6lb fluro leader...

during the course of about 2 hours casting I had noticed that the loop in the fly line had started to come apart is there anyway you guys fix this problem?

I believe it still has strength to it... crazy glue or electical tape ?

thanks for the help !

Josh

http://m.youtube.com/results?gl=CA&client=mv-google&hl=en&q=welded+fly+line+loop&submit=Search

Can also do that , if its just the coating that's coming off the line it'll be fine , you could coat it in aqua seal or something like that

For attaching the mono to the fly line I use an albright knot

I used the braid loops on 2 lines that had worn loops. I then take a piece on 20 lb mono about 6" long and tie a loop in both ends,

Then do a loop to loop connection from mono to main fly line. The reason for this is just so I don't ware out the loop on the fly line tying leaders on and off. Key is to make the loops in the mono as small as pos,I put a pen in the loop and push away from me when drawing tight,I find it keeps the knot in line and not sticking off to 1 side. When I make my leaders I tie yet another small loop @ the top,and once again go loop to loop from leader to 20 lb mono. This way I can just swap leaders when ever I want, as I said SMALL loops so that they do not hinder your cast.Some guys may not like this method but I've caught lots of fish on surface and sub-surface flies using this method and not had any problems with line control or break offs.

I just use the braided loops and use 2 nail knots to secure it on...don't trust the heat shrink tubing...:P. i then coat the knots with a UV knot glue. Albright and surgeons knots make too much bulk due to the thick fly line folding over.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Learn to tie a nail knot. More or less mandatory for fly rodders. Once you've got it learned, it's easy peasy, and no need to replace very often. Using store-bought tapered leaders, tie one on, when you've burnt thru the tippet, tie on some more tippet.

Archived