Niagara And Wind

fuillihc

We moved to Niagara on the Lake in 2009. Since then we have had several windstorms including todays that have caused damage to our property. Is this a regular occurrence because of our position on the great lakes or is it just bad luck?

So it's your fault lol,never had more than 20k winds here til /09 lol. Roofing and fencing guys I think pray for these winds every spring.What kind of damage occurred on your property? The big spruce 4' from my house is swaying a little to much for my likeing

Welcome to the banana belt , it's March . :) Usually , when we have a warm spell we get wind . But today's wind is the opposite as the temps. are dropping off quickly . There would be much more damage if trees had their leaves . I do not believe anything abnormal is happening & as usual with SW winds , Lake Erie takes the brunt of these winds .

Larry.....my sis. has a huge blue spruce in the front yard & I'm surprised it is still standing as it gets no protection from a sw wind . I would consider trying a cable to the tree & anchoring it well into the ground.

So it's your fault lol,never had more than 20k winds here til /09 lol. Roofing and fencing guys I think pray for these winds every spring.What kind of damage occurred on your property? The big spruce 4' from my house is swaying a little to much for my likeing

My kids new playset that cost $1200 and 4 days of my time to put together is destroyed and our TV antenna tower is down. There is a few crooked evergreen trees now too but those can be fixed with a truck, tow rope and duck bill anchors . Last year we had damage to the roof and my barn. We also lost 5 trees.

Wow,that sucks!Must be your location.it's bad here too but not that bad.Last years storm blew my chimney in half so was thinking this one wasn't as bad but maybe it is.At least it's not the tornado's the states got where lives are lost.Sorry bout the lol's, good luck with the rest of the storm

My spruce is 4' from my house and 2 feet from sidewalk which makes it impossible to anchor .It's gotta be 30' tall to boot.Zero wind protection from wind too.That sucker makes me nervous,would cut it down but it makes a great umbrella in the rain and lots of birds nest in it.

I see new houses with shingles blown off . They use cheap shingles and the owners end up ripping them out & replacing them . I had a new roof installed about 10 yrs.ago .....new plywood over the old 1" x 10" boards , then all covered with rolled roofing paper & 25yr .shingles. The owner always checks out the finished job before payment . The shingles still look new & stood up 100% with the wild winds yesterday .

Larry , check out the anchoring systems on Google ....some are directly under the tree .

I was off in Grimbsy with the girlfriend on a hike date yesterday, and the winds where brutal, luckily the escarpment protected us from the winds,when I got home my neighbourhood was a mess, lots of signs on the ground.

Archived