Trying These Spots For Pan Fish This Week... Any Thoughts ?

CamG14

Hi,

My son is eager to get back out fishing and I would like to take advantage of the March break and get out there.

The following are our usual spots for fishing, Which of these places do you think would be best for smallies this time of the year ?

Jordan River.(lake side)

Port Dalhousie off the pier

50 Point marina

Queenston boat launch

Or if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.. . Not asking anyone to give up thier special spots, but if you know of any other spots in the area worth trying we would appreciate it. We catch and release 100 %

He would be happy hooking on to a Goby at this point...(not kidding)

Thanks

Cam

Bass season is closed until the end of June . You cannot target them , even if you are releasing them . Pike are still in season until the end of March so that would be the fish to target .

Hi,

Thanks for the replies,

We took a drive up to Wellend yesterday just to look for some places on Lake Gibson and the Rec Canal. It was such a great day I was surprised that I didn't see anyone out there fishing

I think I found the Rec canal but I am not sure. I drove around Town line Rd, Canal Bank St and another road (Colborne St) that was closed for the winter so we didn't go down it. Is that considered the Rec Canal ?

I didn't noticed until I got home and used Google Maps that if I had gone south and crossed the train tracks there is another canal of water.

Is that the Rec Canal ? I was trying to find somthing that said rowing club but wasn't succesful.

Smerchly, I hope I did'nt come across the wrong way. We have no intentions on trying to catch anything not in season, We are basicaly looking to drop a bobber and worm in the water and hope of a few perch, crappie etc.

I am teaching my son to respect the rules, that's why I didnt drive down the closed road even as it was open and tempting....

Thanks again for all your help,

Cam

Cam .....it looks like it was I who mistook the word "smallies" . We often call small mouth bass smallies , but in your post you obviously meant little pan fish to keep your son busy catching fish while float fishing . The Recreation canal in Welland is a little tricky to float fish since it gets deep fast from shore , except the boat club area ( near John Deer) where it tapers off very gradually . You may have some good luck at Charles Daley Park for float fishing , catfish , carp , gills , perch & white perch (bass) etc. As the water warms up the pannie fishing just gets better . Good luck ! :Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

As an added bonus.......it's warm tonight ....time for dewie picking . :)

Oh my goodness,

Smerchly that was completly my fault, I should have known better, I asked my 7 year son do you know what a smallie is and he said "yup a small mouth bass"... Now I understand why you were warning me about bass not being in season.... :blush:

Fishingabac, Thank you for the links.... That is the area I was driving around, but I didn't know it.....

We are going to give it a try this week as well as Charles Daley Park, I have driven through it a few times but never tried it...

This site is great !

Both my Son and I are learning so much

Thanks

Cam

Really Kuha ?

I am fortunate that all the other members on this site have been here to help me and not insult me like you.

I will leave it at that......

Cam

Who calls panfish smallies????? A smallie is a smallie, not a perch or bluegill!! Geez

I hardly doubt the member is out to target small mouth bass.....he wants to take his kid fishing and he is 100% catch and release. Some people are new to fishing and they could be misinterpreted on what they actually mean......yes your right...a smallie is a smallie....but hey, relax a little. The guy has good intentions.....and wants to take his kid fishing.

don't sweat it Cam .......the word smallie could easily mean small fish to a novice angler . We also call small fish dinks which usually refers to perch but I have seen it used for other small fish lately . I guess the angler lingo changes as time goes on like all the new internet words , like spam .....remember that delicious canned meat ? ha ha ! Lots of luck to you and son . hopefully the fish will start biting as the water warms up quickly this week .

Hey kuha, take a hike. If your not gonna add value to a thread, keep your mouth shut. Smart comments like that should be grounds for banning. There is no room for that here.

Ok peeps.......enough flame throwing......lets end this please, before things get locked down.

Thankyou, Dave.

My apologies CamG14 I should not have jumped on you like that.Just hate people who are targeting species out of season and obviously you are not doin that. And franchise I think I will take a hike today and go watch the steelies comin up the river.

My apologies CamG14 I should not have jumped on you like that.Just hate people who are targeting species out of season and obviously you are not doin that. And franchise I think I will take a hike today and go watch the steelies comin up the river.

that's what I thought!The steelies are in there now eh?that's awesome,enjoy.cheers

I would think Port Dalahousie area would be a great spot for "smallies" (small fish) just off the pier on the harbour side,

My dad used to take me to Martindale pond when i was small, I loved it down there lots of fun.

Charles Daily has some nice spots too.

Nice thing about these areas is that you dont have to walk too far from your car, and they are big open areas, great places for family fishing.

Thats what I like.......someone who steps to the plate when they make a mistake. Thanks, much appreciated.......

Hey Kuha,

No problem, I understand.

I should have known better. I have watched enough fishing shows to know what a smallie is.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this conversation.

I appreciate the new locations you have all shared with me and I am eager to get out there and start exploring them.

And I promise I will never....... ever......... refer to a small fish as a smallie ever again.... :excl:

Cam

Archived