Pickerel?

snakeman4

Steelhead is a sea/ocean run trout, rainbows stay in freshwater...they used to be classifed as two seperate species. I think steelhead were introduced into the great lakes (please verify) while the smaller rainbow trout is native..

well you correct with what a steelhead is, but the only native trout in Ontario are the Lake trout and Speckled trout, both are not even trout but rather Chars.

no,1 species that have 2 names lol

Chain pickerel are mostly found in the states,but I believe they are in the east coast(halifax) as well

this is the answer to your question snake....walleye and "pickerel" are the two names for the same fish here...

Actually Walleye and Pickerel are 2 different fish

In Ontario as a kid we fished for pickerel (walleye)

but on the East Coast New Brunswick and northern Nova Scotia we have pickerel (chain pickerel) much the same as a small pike 1-4 lbs.

In northern New Brunswick we have walleye near Quebec ,.

So it would seem the name of a fish will be what local people may call it but just remember if your down East and want to fish Pickerel then you will be fishing Hammer Handles.

I'm with Gerrit, will always refer to them as Pickerel. Some one said the name "Walleye" started in the States in 1933......well I have in my library a hard cover copy of "The Game and Fish Commissioners Report for Ontario" dated 1892 that has a picture and writeup of the fish in question and it is called in this order...(quote) Pickerel, Dore, Walleyed Pike or American Sandre. So my theory is that with the greater numbers in human population South of the border fishing for this species and "coining the term Walleye", the Canadian people have been influenced by those "Yankees" to also call them Walleye........BUT I AM CANADIAN... and refuse to be influenced by the majority.

PICKEREL FOREVER................Boog............

Archived