Pickerel?

snakeman4

ok so iv read a few different things on the internet tonight, and im a little confused? this may be a noob question but i dont know the answer, is there a difference between pickerel and walleye? because i cant seem to find pickerel in the regs and am unsure if we have any around here. anyone shed some light?

The difference is a pickeral is a member of the pike family the actual common name for walleye is walleye not pickeral but Canadians are stuborn fools and won't give up calling em pickeral.

As an old stubborn sob , as a kid we were taught that they were yellow pickerel or blue pickerel . We caught blues in the 12 Mile Creek right behind the fire station on Pelham Rd. If I'm talking to an old codger (grump) I usually call them pickerel .....or they might think I'm a Yankee :huh: , and I call them walleye when talking to Joey etc. The grass pickerel and chain pickerel both have the same body shape and toothy smile as a pike , so it may be confusing for new anglers to i.d. them . The grass pickerel could be mistaken for a small musky with the bar markings on the sides. So......is it rainbow or steelhead ?? :santa:

As an old stubborn sob , as a kid we were taught that they were yellow pickerel or blue pickerel . We caught blues in the 12 Mile Creek right behind the fire station on Pelham Rd. If I'm talking to an old codger (grump) I usually call them pickerel .....or they might think I'm a Yankee :huh: , and I call them walleye when talking to Joey etc. The grass pickerel and chain pickerel both have the same body shape and toothy smile as a pike , so it may be confusing for new anglers to i.d. them . The grass pickerel could be mistaken for a small musky with the bar markings on the sides. So......is it rainbow or steelhead ?? :santa:

Actually, our dad's taught us to call them pickeral, Smerch cause the name Walleye didn't come into being until 1933. Even the Yank's called the blues, Blue Pike back in my youth while this side we called them blue pickeral. I always saw pickerel spelled pickeral when referring to walleye as opposed to those diminutive pikes that are called pickerel.

http://www.ontariowalleyefishing.com/walleye-biology.html

So......is it rainbow or steelhead ?? :santa:

Steelhead is a sea/ocean run trout, rainbows stay in freshwater...they used to be classifed as two seperate species. I think steelhead were introduced into the great lakes (please verify) while the smaller rainbow trout is native.

Walleye and pickerel are exactly the same fish...just some people call them pickerel...which is a totally different species altogether.

Steelhead is a sea/ocean run trout, rainbows stay in freshwater...they used to be classifed as two seperate species. I think steelhead were introduced into the great lakes (please verify) while the smaller rainbow trout is native.

Walleye and pickerel are exactly the same fish...just some people call them pickerel...which is a totally different species altogether.

re: Steelhead vs Rainbow:

http://www.ontariooutofdoors.com/fishing/trout/?ID=36&a=read

We call them steelhead because the fish stocks(eggs) we get are indeed sea run steelhead from BC

My great grandfather called the Pickeral, My Grandfather called them Pickeral, my father called them Pickeral, I call them Pickeral... and my son will also call them Pickeral...

traditions are traditions... and I refuse to let anyone remove them.

G

The official name is definitely Walleye in Ontario. All regs and info through MNR is under walleye, not pickerel.

That said my Grandfather and my father both called them pickerel so I grew up calling them that as well. I still catch myself sometimes but I try to stick to Walleye now.

so what i understand is they are actually 2 different species, but people just think of them as the same one.

no,1 species that have 2 names lol

Chain pickerel are mostly found in the states,but I believe they are in the east coast(halifax) as well

From Wiki:

In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is related neither to the pikes nor to the other pickerels, both of which are members of the family Esocidae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walleye

My great grandfather called the Pickeral, My Grandfather called them Pickeral, my father called them Pickeral, I call them Pickeral... and my son will also call them Pickeral...

traditions are traditions... and I refuse to let anyone remove them.

G

They call me Fish Farmer, but my real name is Dave, but some call me, never mind, I'm sure your thinking of something. Hi Gerritt :crazy:

Archived