Anchor Rope

mooseslayer

Tried to get out for perch but hard to hold position yesterday.

I need to get my buddy a longer anchor rope. He has some losy rope and we have to tie on another piece when we go out in 60ft wqter.

I want to buy him a 100' of good rope but I'm not sure what to buy. I think the stuff I like is braided nylon or double braided (just checking out different ones...there are a lot on Ebay). I hate the hard rope.

Can anyone help me on what to look for...is 1/2inch good enough?

If anyone has some the want to sell cheap...that would work as well.

100 ft of rope is not enough guys, should be carrying anywhere from 250 to 300, i know its sucks having so much rope but that rope will keep you in place on a rough day, don't cheap out that rope can be your life line one day.

Put about 3 feet of heavy chain just before the connection to the anchor, this will keep the anchot shaft running downward and assist greatly in keeping you in place.

I have 3 types of anchors , Chene , river & navy . I would like to try adding chain to some but sometimes they will be used in rocky spots & in rocky river bottom with current . Will the chain hang up in the rocks easier ? I will be buying some heavy gal, chain very soon .

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Anchors-Claw-Fluke-Grappling-Mushroom-Navy-Plow-River/dm/view_id.217390

The "hard" rope is poly plastic, which sucks at pretty much everything you'd look for in anchor rope.

You're looking for double or triple braided nylon, 3/8" is plenty strong for any fishing boat, 200' or even 100' of 1/2" will take up a ton of room for no reason.

I have 3 types of anchors , Chene , river & navy . I would like to try adding chain to some but sometimes they will be used in rocky spots & in rocky river bottom with current . Will the chain hang up in the rocks easier ? I will be buying some heavy gal, chain very soon .

http://www.iboats.co.../view_id.217390

Try this trick, connect your chain to a Chene or Danforth, but at the "bottom" of the anchor. Connect the "top" of the anchor to the chain with two or three really heavy duty zip ties. If (when!) it gets hung up on the rocks give an almighty heavy, break the zip ties, easily pull in anchor.

Archived