Problem With Leader

jordanl

just purchased my first fly rod today. its nothing to brag about, but its something to learn on. so i went down to an open creek and started to teach myself how to over hand cast. i caught on rather fast and went on practicing the cast for about 45 mins before i had to leave for work. but when i was putting the rod in my car i noticed that the leader was fraying already. is this from incorrect casting technique? or is this just cheap quality. i dont know names, the rod came pre loaded with line, leader and a few starter flies. any help is appreciated.

it could be catching a few small trees twigs or rocks or anything on your back cast that u may not be aware of. it happens. if it was incorrect casting, i believe u would hear the crack of a whip on the back cast or your line piling up on your forward cast. just my 2 cents.

I agree it could be catching on something in the water.

Usually if it has to do with casting you would get knots in your line not fraying.

Do you know the make of leader?

Save your self some $ and make your own!

For bigger fish I start with a foot of 15lb then 4-5 feet of 12lb then 4 -5 feet of 10lb.

They are attached by surgeons knot,you can figure out what lb test to use for what

species you are fishing for.

Archived