First Fish On The Fly

Dogman

Went out for a few hours yesterday in search of a carp but couldn't get them to bite. I did end up with one incidental small mouth bass though. Had to be close to 4 pounds. The fight was awesome can't wait till they are in season. The fish was released unharmed, jumped off the hook just as I went to grab it. I'm hooked.

i know just what you mean:), i picked up a fly rod 2 weeks ago and bring it everywhere, first fish was a creek chub, and i nearly threw it on my back cast, but my second was a approx 2 pound rock bass, the fight and everything is so much more intense

I too know what you mean...I am now at the point where I seem to be catching more fish and favouring my fly rod more than my spin cast or bait cast rod. Not that I am a good caster (happy to always admit I'm trying to improve), or good at matching the hatch, but have been doing well at catching most species of fish from lakes, ponds and rivers. The most rewarding of all though is catching the fish on a fly that I personally tied.

I'm still trying to get the hang of things but my casting is coming along quite well. The bass was about 4lbs so it put up a good fight. I'm heading out today again hopefully I can put up #2 :D

I haven't even pulled my other rods down yet and I have a feeling they won't come down for a while still.

Archived