Timmins Fire

...awful early in the season for that many forest fires . A close buddy has a cottage near Gogama (Westree) and a sudden wind change could wipe that little village out .

...awful early in the season for that many forest fires . A close buddy has a cottage near Gogama (Westree) and a sudden wind change could wipe that little village out .

Speaking of Westree, a few friends and I just scoped out a lake a few km from there to camp on this summer! Does your buddy have any knowledge of the lakes in the area by any chance?

Yes Jordan maybe if we all did a raindance maybe that help.I have some friends that live just outside Timmins and it was close to them earlier in the week.That westree area is a vulnerable little community ,hope the wind doesn't shift that way for sure

Speaking of Westree, a few friends and I just scoped out a lake a few km from there to camp on this summer! Does your buddy have any knowledge of the lakes in the area by any chance?

My bud shares the cottage with 5 others . They bought it and fixed it up nicely and use it for both ice fishing & summer fishing . They visit many lakes in the area , like 4 Mile for specks , and Coin (sp) for rainbows . The lake right beside the train tracks in Westree is full of pike and was stocked with walleye about 5-6 yrs.ago ......doing very well in there . There a big lake called Donagona near Westree which is good walleye fishing and also pike . Be ready for the black fly season and they have skeeters so bad there that they have plugged the stove pipes to keep them from coming inside ......

My bud shares the cottage with 5 others . They bought it and fixed it up nicely and use it for both ice fishing & summer fishing . They visit many lakes in the area , like 4 Mile for specks , and Coin (sp) for rainbows . The lake right beside the train tracks in Westree is full of pike and was stocked with walleye about 5-6 yrs.ago ......doing very well in there . There a big lake called Donagona near Westree which is good walleye fishing and also pike . Be ready for the black fly season and they have skeeters so bad there that they have plugged the stove pipes to keep them from coming inside ......

Thanks for the info, Smerch. Though I doubt any locals would make the 8+ hour drive if they heard the fishing was good, I figure it's best not to say the exact lake we'll be on in case the fishing is crazy. I hear the bugs are gonna be much worse this year due to the mild winter <_< I'm bringing up 2 cans of spray and the ol' reflexes to combat the little buggers.

I fished that lake by the tracks for pike through the ice and did great.Best thing to have up there is a small boat and an atv so you can take advantage of the lakes with no launch.The harder to get to the better they are lol

Just got back on Saturday from up there. We have a camp off of the nighthawk, Friday was very windy so we had to launch up the whitefish river. Seen and smelled alot of smoke from the fire. Blackflies should be just about done with this heat. ( they were bad last week) and as for the mosquitoes theres not enough spray to keep them away they were pretty bad too. Fishing was ok managed about 40 pickerel couple dozen pike and 2 moon-eyes for the 6 days.

Wow...I can't believe the fires up there. I've got to a hunt/fish camp in Gogama a few times and it is beautiful up there. Very sad to see all the vegetation & wildlife that will be destroyed by the fire. Hopefully it doesn't affect the town too much.

Archived