Boat Issues

midas69er

Hey All,

Well I am trying to get back at er, i am looking for a little guidence. The last run last year I was in the middle of lake erie looking for the pearch, motor ran fine, its a 45 mercury outboard, 1987. When cruising around out there i lost hlf power so I headed in. The motor started fine just no go, just enough to limp in. I figured it sounded like it was running on only 2 cyliders or something of the like. I pulled the plugs when we got in and they had a lot of oil on htem. The motor has a separate oil resevoir that self mixes, the mixer doesn't apear to have any adjustments on it. I put new plugs in. I also looked for the fuel filter, found only one inside the motor and cleaned that. I also put all new gas in. Took er out for a test drive this year and still the same, starts fine just won't rev up past almost half power. Baterie was new last year and is in top shape as well. When I put it full out it will kinda seem like it wants to go then cuts back, not big jumps just little, and yes the vent on my tank is open, lol. Hoping for some more idea's, I was told the wires "never go?" also I guess could dirty carps do this, while its running? Any help would be great looking forward to a great year of fishing with my boys!

Kevin

You could have gummed up carbs, if it was not properly fogged and winterized. Could also be losing spark? Will it rev up fully in neutral?

I would take it into a marine shop for a look. Should not cost you that much to see what its doing.

There's a few things that could cause what you're describing. Get a tech to look at it and troubleshoot it. It could be as simple as your temp sensor acting up, restricting your RPM's. You could have low compression, causing blow-by. When is the last time your carbs have been properly disassembled, cleaned, and set? Your main coil pack could be weak....

Needs a good look by a mechanic.

Check with a licensed mechanic... the last thing you want is to hit Lake Ontario or Erie and have it break down way out and a storm or bad weather is coming in (done that, will not do it again). We all want to save money but getting back home in one piece is priceless...

PM me if you want the name and contact info for my mechanic have used him for many years..

Hard to tell if it is reving up fully in neutral, however it really does seem as though it is, it seems the load is the issue. A blown cylinder may be it, due to the fact it happened like that while driving, lioke something broke or got clogged by a big peice of junk. Thanks for all the advise, I was looking for the last few things to check before bringing it in, I will clean the carbs out and pull the stem out of the tank and check that, do a compressino test and if all looks good take er for one more test run. If not good after that then mechanic it goes. Thanks again!

Check for spark on all cylinders..That happened last year to a buddy and I with just an old 9.9.

CDI dropped a cylinder and took us forever to get back up the Welland River.

Still started fine just run on Half power.

You might kill the motor completly if it is damaged & you keep starting it,i found out the hardway when the rod came through the side of my old motor-not good!

• 1 month later...

Back to this topic, a little investigation and it is missing on cylinder #2, so either the coil or switch box, I'm going to check the coil first, a little cheaper!

Probably the magneto........I think thats under the flywheel. or if your lucky the coil.

Ya did plugs and wires, thanks! Friday is test day! I was out last weekend on a freinds boat doing a little fishing and wow all I could think is I gotta get out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Well wasn't the coil it was the "switchbox", aka CDI local store in fort erie wanted 500 plus tax, got it in Buffalo for 290 plus thier tax and dutie save $250 going over there.

If I wasn't lauphing I'd be crying, I have a brand new 2012 dodge caravan, had it only a month, it was in for a small issue for a week, just got it back put the hitch on it hooked up to the boat to water test it last night get 3 driveways down the road and the van broke down again, I guess someone doesn't want me to go out there??? errrr Boat is now fixed and its stuck in the driveway????? I figure the neighbor must be sabatoging me so I don't get out there and steal all his fish!!! lol

Archived