Scary Experience On The Upper Niagara Today

YakFisher

So Im on the upper this morning in my kayak (put in at chipawa). Day starts off great, I caught my first big pike on a livebait pumpkinseed crank at around 7; man, those things go nuts when you get them to the boat! I fish for a couple more hours, get some good bites then decide to pull out the fly rod and I catch another 10 or so little bass.

Im feeling good, the day is going good, so I decide to drift downstream and cast toward the shore. im using my anchor to slow my drift (do it all the time, never had an issue). Ive never been in this section of the river and the currents are stronger than Im used to. My anchor catches something and sticks hard, next thing I know, I'm in the water and my boat is upside down. I manage to get it flipped and throw some of my stuff back into it. I get my anchor line cut and start to look downstream for my paddle and belongings. i had to swim hard to get to my paddle then give up on some other stuff (sandals, small tackle box)

I then swim my kayak into shore and start to assess what I had lost.

All in all, I lost a new rod and reel, brand new camera (the fujifilm coolpix waterproof one), seat cushion, a ton of lures, all of my soft plastics that I had in a tupperware container, a hat and my sandals..

F******************************************************************kkkkkkkkKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkk

Thing that really ticked me off though, probably 3 or 4 other boaters saw me flip, or saw me in the water and NO ONE came over to see if I was ok.

I think Im going to take a break from the Niagara for a bit

Glad you're alright and a quick thinker or things could have been a lot worse, someone was lookin out for you that's forsure. Hopefully enough people read this thread and we don't have a repeat of what you went through. Mother nature at her finest and can bite pretty hard when we least expect it. Keep your wits about you boys n girls when playing in and around the mighty Niagara or she'll getcha when you least expect it.

When you think about it you lost nothing.

that camera was a gift from my mom and it was expensive. I knew I was going to be ok, I was just worried about the hundreds of dollars I could have potentially lost. my paddle alone is $450

I get what you mean though.

thanks everyone

also, I didnt have my pfd on, it was in the back of the boat. its wayyyy too hot and uncomfortable to wear for hours on end.

also, I didnt have my pfd on, it was in the back of the boat. its wayyyy too hot and uncomfortable to wear for hours on end.

think inflatable then, we don't need one of our members getting fine for stunting when they go over the falls

Glad your alright man....someone was just asking a week or two ago about yaking in the upper? Was that you? maybe not...Im not sure. However, I did mention for whoever it was to talk to Dan Andrews or someone else who's been there and done that before. The Niagara current always plays tricks and the bottom is a hazard of all sorts of stuff. Glad your Ok........and I agree with the above mentioned...you lost nothng. Think about the crazy guy last month 22yrs old thought it was ok to swim in the whirlpool...so alls good...you can replace the items you lost. Thats it sometimes....I hear your frustration for sure.

First thing I was told when I got into Kayak fishing was to never use an anchor in areas where current is present. If I were you I wouldn't stay away from the Niagara just don't put down an anchor. Try a drift sock, they can easily be attached to an anchor trolley.

Good that you're ok, stuff is just stuff...Not too sure how sensible it is to be dragging an anchor from a kayak on the Upper....

Wow! Pretty scary stuff! Glad you're good. I will be making a paddle leash after hearing your story. I hear you about the pfd being uncomfortable. I'm guilty of unzipping mine when it gets too hot. My first flip in the yak was in Erie, luckily someone came over and helped me retrieve my gear. Sounds like the fishing was great though.

that camera was a gift from my mom and it was expensive. I knew I was going to be ok, I was just worried about the hundreds of dollars I could have potentially lost. my paddle alone is $450

I get what you mean though.

thanks everyone

I think the intention of "you lost nothing" was meant as you still had your LIFE.

Also, you know what's more uncomfrotable than a PDF on a hot day...being dead! Go and invest in an inflatable PFD...maunual or automatic. They are light, small and more comfortable than a full life jacket.

...and get a rod float!

I'm happy to see you are still with us Yak Fisher ! Maybe not a good idea to carry too many valuables in a yak , just in case the yak flips.....not good for camera's , unless you have a good waterproof container for electronics ..... $450 for a paddle ??? WOW ! I splurged today & bought TWO nice wooden canoe paddles on sale for 10 bucks each . lol I know what you mean about wearing a pfd , but when boating alone , I wear it .

I'm gonna jump on a soap box....I can't swim worth a lick, been a certified canoe instructor for 20 years, I know how to read the water and respect it, but I'd be damned if I ever paddled the river ( upper or lower ) without a pfd. Do you know what a rescue costs? I know having 3 firetrucks show up at a car accident cost me $1400. Factor in the pain and suffering a family will go through while waiting for the recovery. I can't stress it enough, wear some sort of pfd in a man powered craft in the river

I didn't post this to get lectured by a bunch of strangers. I was merely telling a story. I know the mistakes I made and I have definitely learned from the experience. I was over confident with my skills and I underestimated the river.

As for my valuables, the camera was attached to my hat (pov mount) and my hat fell off.

Again, thanks for the concern from those of you that had it. Everyone else, I appreciate the advice; regardless of how un needed it is

I didn't post this to get lectured by a bunch of strangers. I was merely telling a story. I know the mistakes I made and I have definitely learned from the experience. I was over confident with my skills and I underestimated the river.

As for my valuables, the camera was attached to my hat (pov mount) and my hat fell off.

Again, thanks for the concern from those of you that had it. Everyone else, I appreciate the advice; regardless of how un needed it is

We would just hate to have to mourn a member.

glad your ok, the niagara out from chippewa can be pretty creepy since you can see the falls, did you say you got a big pike? maybe you meant musky, alot more of them then pike in the niagara

Glad you're ok. You are welcome to stop by my house to get some free lures and plastics to replace some stuff you lost. I leave Saturday for vacation so let me know through a PM. Paul. Fonthill.

Rile, it was a pike. I'm almost positive.it didn't have the characteristic musky shovel head. The pike was big for me, might not have been the same for others. Felt like somewhere between 4& 8 lbs. Out was hard to tel since the fish wouldn't chill the f out. I grabbed him by the top of his head, and he felt about a thick as a large wine bottle.

Glad you are ok. There are lots of big rocks in the upper so I'm not surprised that you got stuck. What kind of anchor was it? If you want to drag one use a chain. Better still would be to grab a drift chute. I have 2 and they really work well. I used a PFD that wasn't made for paddling all last summer and I agree it is hot as hell. This winter I bought an Extrasport Striper PFD. It has a high back so you aren't sitting on the padding. It has a lot of open mesh that really helps to keep you cool.

For your gear you should make a couple leashes. I made some for my rods from old cell phone charger cords and plastic cable clips that I bought at home depot. For my paddle I just use a short piece of rope with a carabiner on one end and a velcro strap on the other. I keep my tackle box bungied in so if I do tip everything stays with the boat. Drop me a line if you want some pics of the leashes or rigged yak.

Musky shovel head??... Not sure what that is considering a pike/ muskys head are shaped exactly the same... However, there are pike in the upper as well, so it could have been either. Glad you made it back to the yak. As for the driftsock advise.... Great idea in current.... If you want to be drifting at 6 miles an hour.

Don't be so dern sensitive! If you're gonna do things like kayak above Niagara Falls and drag an anchor resulting in a capsize you might get some constructive critisizing...

I also question the logic of canoeing without the ability to SWIM! Let alone being an instructor...

BTW, I do know a bit about kayaks...

Kipawa_Dam.jpg

Archived