Dufferin Island?

fenderbender

hi all as you can see im new here ive lived in the area for 20 years and have fished alot of different waters around niagara, anyways i was just wondering if anyone could give me any insight as to what fish species i could find in the dufferin island area? i want to take my girlfriend fishing and was hoping that someone could share some past experience. i tried the search engine and didnt really find anything regarding species, thanks in advance!

Lots and lots of carp. I've been fly fishing there on my lunch hour recently and there are tons of carp in there. There are also a few small bass and some random other species (Rudd, panfish) mostly carp though. They get VERY big in there so be aware before you start.

All the pools hold carp. The mid pool, one up from where you are thinking is the one I fish most often simply because it is easier to see the fish. There is a big old musky that swims that lowest pool.

Pulled a rainbow out a few years ago an used to catch crappie when they had paddle boats there. It's new fish annually as most of the system is drained and it isn't thAt deep anymore.

Would love to see it dredged up and put some Lilly pads in there.

Only bass I have seen in there were rock bass. Carp and suckers mostly. Bread balls work best there.

Duffern island used to be a bass santuary a few years back.. catch n release only ..

Years ago rainbows and salmon were to be had.. Back in the days where it flowed all year round..

Haven't fished "Duff" since the mid 70's. Caught my first Coho Salmon in there in 1971. That was before they dammed up the outlet..............................Boog

Cast to the pot holes (open spots). They will eat from pretty much anywhere in the water column, but try and put your bait in about the same depth as they are swimming. They spook easy so try not to cast on top of them. Stinky bait would probably work best. I'll probably be down there on my lunch today. If you are ever down there and see a big guy in a blue golf shirt slinging bugs around come over and say hi.

cool will do man, on a side note i was quite disgusted yesterday when i went down there got to the water forgot somthing in my car turned around to go back and some lady is dumping like 5lbs of garbage on the ground in right where i was walking to and as she looked up at me i said "excuse me thats not the garbage can" and she proceded to look at me like i had 2 heads, the kicker is that the garbage can was less than 10 steps from her! some people man !

Archived