Assorted Fish - Gotta Love All The Species!

blairwelsh

some nice fish....

But I have to say the method in which you took the pictures is not in the best interest of the fish.... concrete sidewalks, spread out on a dock, on railway ties... in the scrub.... these situations are not best for the fish... also it appears a couple of them have clouded over eyes (Bass and Bowfin).... are they dead? were they released? did you keep them?

I am not trying to start a war here... but I am pointing out the obvious.... if you think harm will come to a fish you plan on releasing.... perhaps it is best to not take a photo of it in this manner. as you are doing more harm then good to the fish for the sake of an internet post....

take it for what it is worth... only my opinion.

G.

AHHHHHHH!!! its a snakehead lol, Never seen a bowfin with the green like that, is that from algae or just natural color?? thanks for the pr0n

Ive heard that green colour is the spawning colour. Ive caught them before the same colour as that.

Ive heard that green colour is the spawning colour. Ive caught them before the same colour as that.

AHHHHHHH!!! its a snakehead lol, Never seen a bowfin with the green like that, is that from algae or just natural color?? thanks for the pr0n

The colour is on the Males Bowfins. Increases during their spring spawning. Some of them get very intense, almost a NEON GREEN.

The females stay Brown & White Underbelly - Similiar to Catfish.

It is very interesting to see the males hang around for Weeks - protecting the Fry. They folllow them around in the shallows. The fry look like a pod of Tadpoles.

But I have to say the method in which you took the pictures is not in the best interest of the fish.... concrete sidewalks, spread out on a dock, on railway ties... in the scrub.... these situations are not best for the fish... also it appears a couple of them have clouded over eyes (Bass and Bowfin).... are they dead? were they released? did you keep them?

I am not trying to start a war here... but I am pointing out the obvious.... if you think harm will come to a fish you plan on releasing.... perhaps it is best to not take a photo of it in this manner. as you are doing more harm then good to the fish for the sake of an internet post....

take it for what it is worth... only my opinion.

Well said. I have no problem with the question or answer.

* all the fish (Shown) were alive and swam away!

In the GTA, I mainly go out with Catch & Release as the intended out come.

I keep a couple here and there, and take into consideration the Safe Consumption Guide and Population strengths.

I basically take the picture of the fish where I land it and release it back.

- The Grass

- The Pier

- The Dock

My "Catch & Release Methods" have been similiar for 40+ years now

Experience has taught me that quickly landing a fish, bringing it on shore for a Quick pic & Release ..is fine.

The biggest factor in Mortality seems to be: Deep Set Hooks * Common sense and best efforts in mind.

Having said that, I am certainly not hypocritical as to "Best Practices".

There are definately more improved equipment options and legitmate causes for Improvement!

Well said well handled Blair.... the post that is :)

Snakehead in spawning colours. I still haven't caught one :(

No worries.

We all hopefully try to do the best we can under the situations that arise while fishing.

It's not a Black & White World .... lol

db_snakehead0011.jpg

The BOWFIN are not Snakeheads. (They do look similiar, and maybe they have some genetic link ...)

Bowfin are indigenious to our waters. Snakeheads have been introduced by People.

From what I know, They most likely can not survive in our Colder Waters.

Right now, out in BC all the "Hysteria" is being whipped up about one suppossingly found in a pond.

(Definately put there by someone!)

I;ve only recently (Last 2 years) really started seeing (Catching & Targeting) them out at the Toronto Islands.

The only "other" place I saw one caught was up in Holland Marsh (My Brother In Law) got little guy (Fluke) on a worm:

BillysBowFin.jpg

(A small MALE as Well - See the Distinct green and Spot on the tail?) This one was a paler green than the Males I see at the Islands.

Here are some more Toronto Island Bowfins:

FirstMaleBOWFIN.jpg

FullViewofBOWFIN.jpg

They put up an Excellent Fight and have very strong "Biting" strength.

I lost a big Female (Around 10 lbs) earlier last month. Was one of the Biggest, I have ever seen.

She went under some heavy cover, and spit the hook.

BigBowFinInNet.jpg

This is a nice FEMALE BOWFIN (Around 6-7 lbs).

I have never "Eaten One" and for the time being, I know keeping 1 or 2 should not affect the stocks ... but since I'm not sure of their Populations out at the Islands, I prefer to just return all of these catches.

* Now, that I'm "Hooked" on them as fun (and Unique) species to catch, I certainly want to have the same enjoyment next spring & summer out at the Islands.

They seem to have the "Heartiness" of a catfish when out of the water for a short period of time. Always, strong swim away (Healthy) after catch & pic.

I have seen them Pop up for Surface gulps of air as well - out in the Canals and Ponds.

From what I have observed over the years, any "Naturalized" fish is One hundred times more strong and enduring than a "Stocked Pond Feed" fish.

Out west in Vancouver, when I wasnt chasing Wild Chrome - I'd go to some of the "Stocked" lakes on the North Shore.

Those trout, if you even LOOKED AT THEM would die.

The river chrome were tough as nails.

ps: These guys (Suckers) are also another "overlooked" species we have the opportunity to enjoy.

This spring I must have caught over 400+ of them (Seriously, My knuckle was getting a bone spur from all the hook sets)

Some of them fought as hard as Any Steelie (including jumps) and many times some of the best Steelheaders, would have bet I had a Bow on... only to see it was a Sucker. I let all these guys go as well. Tough fish, really fun to catch!

DuffinsSucker.jpg

DuffSucker.jpg

I wish I knew where to find more "Drums" (Sheepshead) up here in the GTA!

They look like an Awesome fish to catch!

Ontario really does offer the BEST in VARIETY, I love it!

*SMILES*

I hope know one thought that I actually thought it was a real snakehead lol, Just making fun a lot of people uneducated will catch one assuming its a snakehead and go to the papers about it, I was actually chased out of the water recently while wading in welland river, came out to investigate me turned, opened its mouth, and came right at me, you're right a very strong jaw on them. I backed up and he hid in the weeds watching me, very territorial, and aggressive fish fore sure.

Great report Blair....you sure do get around the GTA. I noticed the one spot in front of the Police Boat house. Good to see all the signs come down from fishing the harbourfront for sure. What do you use for bait for the Bowfin? I have heard there is some good pike and Bass fishing around the launch area at Ashbridges Bay? Have you ever fished there or the Bluffs from shore?

Thanks for all the kind replies Guys!

This site has a great group and I always feel WELCOME sharing some pics and participating.

*SMILES*

1. No ... didnt think you had mistaken the BowFin for a Snakehead. (Your knowledge and sense of humour are evident)

2. I mostly catch them with Dew Worms. I have used a Mr. Twister as well.

(From my observations, they will almost hit anything that goes by them. I suspect it's both feeding & Territorial)

- Any of the MARINA(s) are GOLD in the Harbourfront. (Which is true of almost anywhere) The city has taken down the signs (No Fishing) for now. Unfortunately, the whole situation is not settled yet.

*Some of the area(s) I fish down at harbourfront ... may be "Technically off limits". (No signs ... but)

- I have been asked politely by the Police not to fish in their little marina bay, and other times ... chatted while fishing with the Sargent on Duty.

If they ask me to leave, I do so immediately and wish everyone a safe and happy afternoon.

Same goes with some of the other "Marina areas" ( I do not tresspass or go into them, but certainly do fish around them)

- Basically, I am always polite, never litter and keep an eye as to not ever irritate the tourists or boat owners. I know thats just common sense ... but even in today's craziness, it still works well and goes a long way.

I DELIBERATELY take the time to pick up any garbage around the marina walk ways (While the boat owners watch). Not to be a "Hero" but it needs to be done and it also puts me in their good books.

- A moment of time (No hassle) just to keep everyone happy .... is a moment I'll keep doing as long as I fish down at the Harbourfront!

Today, a Guy started to get hostile with me until he saw I was letting my pike go .... he retracted.

- His hostility was based on seeing some other guy earlier in the year (Spawning Season) snagging and keeping like 6-7 fish!

- We talked for a while and parted friends

Honey works better than vinegar (*SMILES* most of the time .... Occassionally, carrying a big stick works as well)

Archived