Heavy On The Pike Please! (Harbourfront Heaven)

blairwelsh

Got a chance to work the Toronto Harbourfront on (2) of the Hottest Days last week.

Fortunately for me, not only were the Temps at records .... the Pike were there as well.

Here's some nice shots: (Normally dont "blur' .. but our city counsil is doing the vote on Wed, and I didnt want the Loogans to ruin it)

Beautiful.jpg

Pike6BeautifulColours-1.jpg

REALBEAUTY.jpg

LongandToothy.jpg

beauty pike blair, all ive been getting lately is small pike, the big ones seem to be long gone from the harbours around here, what were you getting them on?

beauty pike blair, all ive been getting lately is small pike, the big ones seem to be long gone from the harbours around here, what were you getting them on?

LOL ... gone out into deeper water, or all being kept? ( Hey, I'm the biggest supporter of following the regs and enjoying some fresh caught fish - but in some areas the pressure on the Bigger breeders just gets too much)

I was using a Red Devil or a Mr. Twister (Black & White). Basically, just put on the polarised glassed (A MUST) and walkied the entire harbourfront.

The pike were in their traditional "HOVER MODE", hanging about 5=6 feet under the surface by weed beds.

About 50% Would hit, the others would ignore all best efforts.

I would "Spase" the bait in their general vicintity ... and then let it drift by them.

I got a few PIKE FLIES that a guy makes (At the KIDS FISHING EVENT over the weekend) and cant wait to try them this week.

Cliff has suggested them a couple of times.

On these particular days ... the pike seemed to ignore the big husky jerks and spinners. (???)

Some lures they would follow, but not attempt to hit at all.

I was extremely Fortunate, that there were so many of them out and within catching range.

Many a day, I have put in LOTS of time and energy just trying to get even one.

I DO NOT use a LEADER. - Just tie my 10 Mono directly to the lure

About onece every 5 years, I may lose one pike to a bite off ....Nothing to worry about!

Really nice Blair....The one your holding there looks like your ready to strum us a few notes on the guitar. Looks like they been eating all the bottle caps and submarine sandwich left overs....lol. There is some great fish there for sure....I have seen them too. Do you ever see the big bass cruising around? Because I have seen some nice bass along the harbourfront and towards Ontario Place.

Really nice Blair....The one your holding there looks like your ready to strum us a few notes on the guitar. Looks like they been eating all the bottle caps and submarine sandwich left overs....lol. There is some great fish there for sure....I have seen them too. Do you ever see the big bass cruising around? Because I have seen some nice bass along the harbourfront and towards Ontario Place.

I like to PLAY MY FISH! *SMILES* ha ha ha ha (Yup, laughing more than I should at my own bad "funny")

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

The bass are sure down there as well. I see more LARGEMOUTH than SMALLIES.

With no particular reason, I seem to wait until August / September before i really start to target them.

All along the marinas and docks they can be found. Some of them get real big!

I do get the incidental ones while chucking a spinner for pike or using a worm for perch... but funny enough, not too many.

Using a nice Senko, plopped at the sides of the boats and docks ..... seems to be the best in producing size and numbers.

I'm heading out now, for some more of those "HOVERING PIKE" ... who knows, maybe I'll see some BIG LARGIES cruisin around and give them a go!

Enjoy the day gentlemen.

It's beautiful out there!

FURTHER UPDATE:

FirstBigPIKE.jpg

Got a chance to get out to the HARBOURFRONT this afternoon.

Took some Bread and a Couple Mr. Twisters, That's it.

I think I got this down to a science ... lol

Seriously, spent 80% of the afternoon just chatting with alot of nice people who were curious and enjoying the sunshine and stroll along the Harbourfront.

The other 20%, I actually fished. I would switch from my BREAD (Oh... there's a Carp) to a MR. TWISTER (oh there's a Pike)

Ended up with 4 nice fish in all (2 of each).

The Pike were Beauties, and the one Carp was Enormous (Wish I had somebody by, so I could do a Hold Pic - Really shows the size vs. sitting on ground by pole)

PikeandtheBigBoat.jpg

PikeActionShot3.jpg

GorGeousPike.jpg

PikeActionShot2.jpg

2ndBigPike.jpgPikeActionShot1.jpg

Awesome Blair......expect to see the harbourfront elbow to elbow now....LOL. Looks like alot of fun for sure !!!

Awesome Blair......expect to see the harbourfront elbow to elbow now....LOL. Looks like alot of fun for sure !!!

Funny thing is .... here in Toronto, very few take the effort to go down and fish the harbourfront.

There's almost 20-30 kms of shoreline to cover, so maybe with that ... you just don't notice the "Congestion".

I usually will only see 1-2 others on any given day.

You'd think with 6 million people (Entire GTA area) that those numbers would be higher.

Maybe everyone is going to Port D & the Pool instead?

*SMILES*

It still cracks me up ... when I hear this being said almost every time I fish downtown: "I didnt know there were fish in Lake Ontario"

Archived