12 Ft Sturgeon - 1100 Lbs (And You Thought Your Fish Was Big!)

blairwelsh

FRIGGIN UNREAL!

Jeremy Wade (River Monsters) ... Eat your heart out buddy! lol

12-foot sturgeon caught near Chilliwack weighed 1,100 pounds

6965418.jpg

If it was in an English sitcom the conversation would probably go like this: “Oh Mabel, what did you do on your holidays?

“Nothing much, went to British Columbia and caught a 12-foot long fish.”

“Gawd, don’t they have any big ones there?”

There’s bound to be variations, but when Michael and Margaret Snell — a retired English couple from Salisbury — return home this weekend they’ll have their story of hooking into a 1,100 pound monster sturgeon to captivate family, friends and neighbours.

It’s being billed by the guiding outfit that organized the couple’s fishing trip as “one of the biggest fish ever caught in North America” and was hooked by 65-year-old Michael on Monday near Chilliwack.

At 12-feet-four-inches long, with a girth of 53 inches and weighing an estimated 1,100 pounds, guide Dean Werk of Great Fishing Adventures estimates the sturgeon to be over 100 years old.

“I’ve been a professional fishing guide on the Fraser River for 25 years and I’ve never seen a sturgeon this big,” said Werk, who was alongside the couple when the sturgeon bit.

It took an hour and a half to land the fish.

“A fish of this size and strength is nearly impossible to land,” he said. “The angler has a less than two per cent chance of everything going as well as it did.”

Eventually the fish was brought to the shore with the trio standing chest high in the water embracing their catch while photos were taken before the fish was released.

The Snells had caught a five-foot long sturgeon in B.C. in June 2009 which got them hooked on sturgeon fishing and came back this year to try their luck again.

“It’s the most excitement I’ve ever had with a fish,” said Michael.

“When we picked her head out of the water it was almost three feet wide. I never knew a fish could be that large.” Only in British Columbia, Michael.

gbellett@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz21Dkm2FDN

Wow... How do you land an 1100 lb fish unless you were targeting it ? I mean can the fishing gear you would be using for an average sturgeon actualy hold up ?.... where they out fishing for Blue Fin Tuna ? (joking) .... :bb2:

What a great thrill that must have been.

Cam

Archived