My First Saltwater Catch

Dogman

I just go back from two plus weeks down south. I did as much fishing as I could, which sadly wasn't much. Well not nearly as much as I would have liked but it was a family vacation. After a few days of trying I finally hooked up and landed my first salt water fish. It is a saltwater sheephead. Unlike our sheephead these are in the porgy family and not the drum family. They are quite common but it was a real challenge getting the stubborn things to bite. They do not readily take artificials let alone flies. It finally took a tan pass crab fly. It was a short but fun fight.

sheephead1.jpg

sheephead2.jpg

sheepheadfly.jpg

Thanks guys, they really are pretty fish and even better eating. I released that one though. They eat mainly crabs, barnacles and other crustaceans so they tend to taste something like crab or lobster but with a nice light flaky texture.

Awesome.....I want to some day fish Tarpon on the fly. I cant even imagine what a battle that would be. Kind of like the first time I fired a shot gun at 9yrs old I think.

I'd love to target tarpon. They are on the beaches some of the time while I am down there but I've never hooked into one. I can't even imagine trying to fight one on a fly rod. I'm heading down to Chokoloskee to fish the everglades national park (10,000 Islands) early next year. There may be some tarpon on the outside. If the weather co-operates it could be fun. Damn now I am going to have to buy an 11 or 13wt.

Ocean fishing is a whole new world .....so many species and very colourful fish . I fished a few places years ago on the east coast and had no idea what we might catch (except the brookies in N.S.) I'm happy to see the "ocean drum" is a good eating as our native ones ! :santa:

Archived