Garbage Derby, Yes That's Right Garbage Derby

meatface

Well, I got confirmation today. The Carpenters Union Local 18 is giving $300 to help with the event. The Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority may also have some prizes, should have confirmation on that soon. The meeting went well with the NPCA today, they are going to help out with alot of things. The one problem I'm up against now is that they are suggesting I move the date to Sept. 15th. This would coincide with a national waterfront cleanup and may qualify us for some funding. Problem is I don't want to upset anyone that is able to make is for the 8th and has already committed, but can't do the 15th. Stay tuned, final decision has to come within the next day or two.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DATE OF THE DERBY HAS CHANGED TO SEPTEMBER 15TH 2012** ANYONE THAT HAS ALREADY COMMITTED ON THE ATTENDANCE THREAD PLEASE CHECK YOUR SCHEDULE AND CHANGE AS NECESSARY SO THAT I HAVE CORRECT NUMBERS!!!

Just met with the owner of Outdoors Oriented in St.Catharines. They are our newest confirmed sponsor for the event! He is going to put together a prize package and link to the event page on facebook :) He may also be sending email to his entire mailing list for this event. Word is getting out!

A friend of mine who belongs to the Niagara Bassmaster has just announced on the Garbage Derby facebook page that the Niagara Bassmasters are donating a prize for the Derby! Woohoo!

Now Cliff has just let me know that Saugeen Custom Rods and Fly Tying is donating a custom built 8 foot one piece rainshadow bass rod with art work valued at $ 250 dollars! Thanks Cliff!

This is awesome Jon....your doing a great job at organizing this. Thanks to those people sponsoring this as well...good deal.

Picked up some sponsorship today. Got the $300 cheque and $65 worth of gift cards from Dean's No Frills in Beamsville. The gift cards will buy supplies for the BBQ and any excess will go toward prizes. :)

HOLY CRAP!!! Just got an email from Outdoors Oriented, and they have put together their prize package. I don't want to spoil the surprise of it all, but I must say that I wish I could win some of these prizes. Total retail value of their extreme generosity would be over $400!!! Our story should be out in the paper next week and they are going to send someone down for a follow up story on the day of the event. This is our time to shine as environmental stewards. Thanks so much to all that have been participating and going the extra mile!

So how are you going to weigh the car parts etc? What if someone brings a boat load from the backwaters? :D

Personally I don't need to win anything. I think it's a great deal. Where do we park? Looks like you may get a crowd so you may want to talk to the Beacon about parking. They can call it a donation :crazy:

So how are you going to weigh the car parts etc? What if someone brings a boat load from the backwaters? :D

Personally I don't need to win anything. I think it's a great deal. Where do we park? Looks like you may get a crowd so you may want to talk to the Beacon about parking. They can call it a donation :crazy:

There is plenty of parking at the conservation area. Heavy items like car tires will be a separate category, well at least that is the idea. We will have to see how many prizes we have and 'tinker' with the prize distribution. We are also playing with the idea of making the prizes go by raffle, or a combination of raffle and weight categories. I'm honestly more worried about making sure that the kids all get something, but that may not be possible. If we don't have enough people show up with canoes then we may have to improvise and get people to drive back around to the beacon. Unfortunately this derby is a 'pilot' project so there may be some bumps and bruises getting through all the logistics. If you are not worried about winning anything then maybe you'd just like to come down and help out on the 'administrative' side of things. We're going to need some people to be 'marshalls', and some to work the prize table, BBQ etc. If you are interested in helping out that way shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number.

Well we made the news. Our article is up on the Niagara this Week website :)

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/community/article/1493225--ambassadors-of-the-outdoors

I would like to make it out to this event. I hope to be out of my sling by then (collar bone and rib fractures....bit the dust off my Harley)

Is there an entry fee?? I can donate a new Rapala Nitro entry level rod and reel.....................Boog (Daniel)

I would like to make it out to this event. I hope to be out of my sling by then (collar bone and rib fractures....bit the dust off my Harley)

Is there an entry fee?? I can donate a new Rapala Nitro entry level rod and reel.....................Boog (Daniel)

No entrance fee. A donation would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. PM me with details. :)

Archived