Went Walleye Fishing And My Sons First Catch

midas69er

Hey All,

With the boat running, finally, I was able to get out a few times in the past week. On Thursday hit the upper river with the kiddies and the wife, got nothing. Saturday hit the upper again and landed some nice pearch. My oldest son, 5 years old caught his first fish, a pearch and he was soo freakin excited and now loves fishing!!!

Anyway on Sunday the "Men" went out to catch walleye. We used a dipsy dirver and trolled around with a worm harness. The worm harness we attached right to the diver i think it had about a 6' lead. We put the line out 276 feet and trooled as slow as we could, don't have a trolling motor yet, the GPS said we were going about 3.5 mph? We started in 58 FOW and went to abuot 61 er so, out from the lighthouse at POint Abino. We got skunked! Anyway this was our first time tryng all this and I was wondering did we do it rigth and just had bad luck or is there something we were missing, we got ou there at 6 am and went for about 4 hours.

Afte rthat we went in close to sherkston to look for Bass, found a couple smallies and a huge Sheaphaed, probabaly 16"+, great day with the guys and any fishing weekend in the water is awsome! But jsut want to know do we keep chuggin along or is there something we can do to increase our odds with the Walleye?

Thanks,

Kevin

your speed should be around 1 to 1.6 mph max with harnesses.. try using a drift bag to slow that boat.. but you'll need a big one if 3.5 is your slowest speed

Thanks we are going to get a trolling motor some day soon, maybe next year, would like to have a back anyway, that was one concern of ours, it did look like we were going faster than the other boats, and wow there were a lot of othe rboats! On more question too, do we have to be concerned about crossing the boarder line? We crossed it and I was a bit nervous?

For bass the best spot is towards the Bertie boat club in 8-20 FOW Tube jigs'll kill them

8-20? you mean 40-45? the waters kinda warm in shallow now

Bass are all over right now. 8-45 feet will hold fish. We got em' in 18' and 33' in the lake and 8'-12' in the river on the weekend.

Dropshotting was the best option, they outfished the tubes this weekend.

Try just drifting without the main motor on at all. This is what the bass guys do. The wind and current will get you anywhere between .5-1.5MPH depending on the wind and your boat. For better boat control, invest in a trolling motor and drift socks as already suggested. If you find a spot that holds fish, mark it on the GPS and try and anchor off of the spot and fish towards the spot and use jigs to get down to those fish.

You never mentioned anything about your electronics, but that can make or break an outing as well. Invest in some good electronics and it will make your experience on the water that much better.

Tight lines and good luck.

Thanks, we were using a top of the line Lawtence FF with GPS, I wasn't in my little boat we were in my buddies newer legend, trying to trool with a brand new 90 hp 4stroke. Thanks for the advise, I was looking into Fish finders, do you think it is nessesary to get the fullly decked out model like my buddie did?

When we came around the point to dock in at Bertie Bay we saw about 10 boats in around the 8-20 fow range, looked to be bass fishing, in my "expert" lol opinion. so once again thanks for the advise, I guess less driving and more fishing is the answer on the Bass!!

We were out this past weekend in the same general area as you were and did well with our big dipsies (size 1) 130 back on a 3 setting. Our speed was anywhere from 1.8 to 2.4. I found that early in the morning the fish were liking the harnesses in the 1.8 to 2 mph (gps speed) range and as the sun began to get a little higher, we switched to sticks and trolled from 2.1 to 2.4. Keep in mind that we do a lot of turns to speed up and slow down the spread. Running a dipsey 276 back is taking you out of the zone in my opinion, unless its the smaller version (size 0). If you are having trouble getting your speed down, you may have to employ a drift sock to slow you down a bit. Or possibly taking the boat in and out of gear if you can. And don't be afraid to crank up the speed guys, we do it all the time to cover water to find active fish. When you do find active fish, you can slow down and dial in your presentations. Sticks, harnesses and spoons will all work at quicker speeds. Just make sure you check the action of the bait boatside before letting it out. And as a general rule of thumb, I like to keep my leaders in the 8' range. (approx. the same length of the rod) Some days longer, and some days shorter, but 8 feet is the most popular.

Good luck, and keep in mind, this is just my 2 cents. There are many different tactics used to catch fish out there. This is just one guys opinion.

Cheers.

THanks for the advise, how far back do you run a dipsy? We put the dipsy out that far because we don't know what we are doing and were reading the package and it said to get it to go deeper let out mor line, we were trying to get it as close to the bottom as we could. I am not sure which number it was but it was fairly large for sure. Is this the good approach? Or do we not try for the bottom?

All opinions welcomed!

If conditions permit I will choose drifting for walleye .....you can get the bait down to them with the right amount of weight , even at 60 ' with a good chop, using a 2 oz.weight on a 3 way will get you down to bottom . We fish Quinte right on bottom at summer when the eyes do deeper . When the bay is flat , the electric trolling motor works fine !

Thanks we are going to get a trolling motor some day soon, maybe next year, would like to have a back anyway, that was one concern of ours, it did look like we were going faster than the other boats, and wow there were a lot of othe rboats! On more question too, do we have to be concerned about crossing the boarder line? We crossed it and I was a bit nervous?

you said you went in the U.S. waters If you have a valid U.S. fishing lience no problems if you if you don't could be problems. Sounds like you don't so stay out is my 2 cents.

Archived