12 Mile Surprise

smerchly

I have fished the 12 for many years since the fifty's and have caught just about every species there is between the two lakes . Today was a first for this one ! It fought hard and took a lot of line downstream in the fast current until I was able to turn it around . It took a shrimp on my drop shot set up using a 1.5 oz bell sinker which I flattened out with a "hammer" :) . I have caught a few of its fulled clothed brothers , some larger , but this one , hooked in the top jaw was a real ball of fire !

SAM_1456.JPG

I also did very well on smallies and got into a good fight with a large drum that acted very much like this carp .

good stuff, a nice mirror for sure........I find mirrors fight a little harder than commons, I could be wrong............maybe its because they have little protection so they fight harder to stay away from rocks and such? Who knows............regardless, way to go man - a rare catch for sure!

Thanks guys . There are some drawbacks fishing for carp in the 12 . Over the years the banks have really grown over with heavy brush & trees , so there isn't many spots where you can walk far from where the fish is hooked . I had to try to keep the carp away from an overhanging tree by stepping into the water and keeping the 10' rod out as far as possible ,but it turned back at the tree and headed back to me......funny , they all seem to do that . I don't have any particular spots for carp at the 12 , they seem to be in all the back eddies . I was using 12 lb.Andy mono ....maybe a tad light for those big girls in that current.

this drum also put up a great fight .....I thought I hooked another carp when first hooked as it peeled off the line .....

SAM_1464.JPG

• 7 months later...

Nice catches, i need to make my way down there but very unsure as to where to go. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Just pick a spot and fish it If you don't try you'lle never know. there are tons of fish in there. Its all the same water. If you don't have luck at the spot you chose then try another one another day.....and If you do catch... WELL MY FRIEND THAT'S THE REWARD!!!!!! AND NOW YOU CAN CALL THAT SPOT YOUR OWN. Only reason I say try your own spot is I have my own spot down there and sometimes it just does'nt produce fish. most of the greatest catches iv'e ever had have been spots iv'e explored and probably havn't been fished very much...... I bring down a machete and bush wack a Big enough spot to get my rods wet. It gives you more satisfaction when you catch at a spot you picked as well as confidence in yourself......Good luck hope you find yourself a good spot down there. The 12 is great

CHEERS

Chris

• 1 year later...

So I am not the only one that is willing to make his own spot haha! Bushwhacking is the way to go because that means literally no one has fished it that season or for many years. I love finding spots people don't fish because the fish take the bait more often. I try to avoid the crowds and its totally worth the extra effort.

Damn you! Ive fished the 12 the last three days til now in search of a mirror. Done well with Carp and buddy pulled out a hog roughly 15 but huge belly! Also hi Chris.

I take one day off from there. Will be back in my special hole soon. Congrats smerch

This thread is old, didnt notice til now

Ya ....I have lost half my hair since then and a few more wrinkles and valleys under the chin ......maybe I really am scaring the fish lately !! :crazy:

Archived