Trolling.

YakFisher

Sonar / fish finder I think is a must, help with knowing what depth the fish are or how deep the water is. I'm with Bladerunner about going to the deep water in a Kayak though. within the next couple weeks the fish will be in close so no need to head to the deep water.

I've only been doing it for twenty years and am still alive. 9/10 days it's no problem, you just don't go fishing on the tenth day.

I'll be fishing out of a canoe all through August & Sept. and leave the pier to the loogans. I don't have any probs finding elbow room 300 yards off the pier after midnight.

I've only been doing it for twenty years and am still alive. 9/10 days it's no problem, you just don't go fishing on the tenth day.

I'll be fishing out of a canoe all through August & Sept. and leave the pier to the loogans. I don't have any probs finding elbow room 300 yards off the pier after midnight.

You got it right....9 out of 10 days. Heading out into deep water in search of a fish in a yak is just plain crazy. Your life is worth more than a fish. Even though you may have done it for 20 years.....its not something to say is ok to do to other people. Near shore is fine....avoiding the spoon chuckers and having your own space when they are in tight is great. I certainly would not invest in riggers and depth finders to chase a fish in a yak in deep water. Play it safe is all I can say....I have been caught in Lake Ontario in an 18ft boat in bad weather....I know what its all about. Dont do it.....

Everyone seems to think that a kayak is so unsafe, I feel safer in my ten foot kayak in big water than I ever have in a bigger boat. Because my boat is so small and light, I just ride on the top of the water. Very little rocking and rolling.

Size doesn't always mean stability.

Depends on how your defining deep water ... Might want to look at some charts for lake Ontario to be aware of how steep it drops off .... If by deep water you mean 50 feet that's different than 300 feet.

I'd imagine your limited to gadgets in a kayak but you would want a fish finder of sorts if you have no idea where to start for finding the fish ... Might want to grab a charter (and a GPS) and try and mark where they are nailing them ...Depth or how far out on the lake ...

Just thoughts

Everyone seems to think that a kayak is so unsafe, I feel safer in my ten foot kayak in big water than I ever have in a bigger boat. Because my boat is so small and light, I just ride on the top of the water. Very little rocking and rolling.

Size doesn't always mean stability.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been out in Lake O many times. While I do mind the weather I haven't found it that bad. I've been out in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean in my kayak. Be prepared, take every precaution you can. Get a VHF marine radio if you are heading out alone, sonar is very handy as well.

Out again last night, still not dead. This morning was absolutely perfect for getting out into 150fow but after not dying 5 times a week for the last month I'm pretty tuckered and stuck to pier chucking this morning. Out again this evening though, I guess I'm an adrenalin junkie. :pardon:

Oh the horror!

CanoeBronteSunrise.jpg

You can see the terror on my face, it was touch & go for awhile 2 miles out!

P51800181.jpg

Seriously though, it's pretty simple. If you're an idiot don't go, if you're not an idiot you'll be fine. Sit on top kayaks are nigh unsinkable and were built to launch through ocean surf that a Lake O troller would call a near death experience.

The only thing I truly worry about is getting run over, I think it's safer paddling out there at midnight than in the afternoon. Less traffic.

Archived