Using A 3 Way Swivel In Rivers

Seanook

Hi All,

I am going to once again try fishing with a 3 way rig. I have not had much luck as of yet. My first attempt was with a 12lb mono-to the swivel-6lb mono weight line with a 3/4 pencil weight, then a 6lb fluoro main. Not sure if this is a typical setup but I was without internet at the time and kinda "Jerry rigged" it as to what I thought might work.

I now have a tonne of different line and weights and I think before I try this again I should ask a few questions.

First, What line is preferred for each of the main, weight and leader line?

What type of weight. Pencil or Bell?

And finally. What type of rod. I will be using this for salmon in Lake O rivers and possibly Niagara. I hope it's something I don't already have so I have an excuse to blow more cash!

Guest live2fish85

I would go with braid main line 15# would be plenty. From the swivel to leader I would use flouro and probably 8-10#, it is more durable then mono but will still snap if you get caught up to bad. I would use 6-8# personally and wouldn't use anything higher then 10# for the leader line.

I had a 9'6 St. Croix Wild River I just sold that was perfect for bottom bouncing. It was Medium, extra fast casting rod.

If that is in your budget check it out. You won't be disappointed. There are other rods for less that are good as well but that rod was amazing and super sensitive.

As for sinkers, a heavy pencil weight is my top choice.

Right on, L2F. I guess I wasn't all that far off anyhow. That's what happens when I get skunked though. Start second guessing my tactics and setup.

I LOVE the St Croix stuff. Buddy of mine let me use one of his for a weekend and I was drooling over it until he told me what he paid for it! It is a little out of my price range but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". One of these days I'm gonna have to suck it up and pay the big bucks. I generally don't like going over $125-150.

I have been fishing the 3-way for a few years now and absolutely love it. Keep it nice and simple while youre out there and dont worry to much about using different lines for each leader. I use a 10lb mono mainline, weight line, and lead line and have never had an issue with snags or losing fish (except a few skis), For the niagara river I use a 1/2 oz pencil weight.

Guest live2fish85

No Problem Seanook. An thorold keeping it simple doesn't always get you fish. No matter what lines you ise it is no easier ans regardless you still have to tie it the same amount of times. Going lighter lbs test will increase fish.

The Niagara requires a swivel from shore I run 8 lb floro coated main and a 6 lb off the swivel Pretty much everyone down there uses a 10.6 to a 12' rod with 1/2 oz dropper weight or less depending on the current that day In the boat we run the same set up but with 1.5 oz weight

I am a menage a trois (3 way) also .... B) ......either drifting for eyes from a boat or drifting roe bags in the rivers . Another use for using a 3 way is using shallow running crank baits that float .....even lures like Kwikfish . This works at spots like Port Dal.harbour when you want to get the lure close to bottom in the 15-20' range in the current . I use a 1/2 to 5/8 oz. in most cases and make sure the sinker line (12 to 18") is light in case the weight catches bottom , it should break off first . And using braid on the main line is great to feel the sniffers ........ :Gonefishing:

Thanks everyone. The first few times I used the (to quote Smerch) "menage a trois" (which I believe I will use from now on) I had all kind of problems. I believe I had too much weight and too long a weight line, wrong rod and reel setup and the ensuing birds nest was incredible. Then I made some adjustments and everything seemed to be working right just no takers. I recently have given in to the braided line fad which I was originaly not a fan of but have embraced due to success with it. It is more complicated but the upside of using it properly has not gone unnoticed. I really want this Salmon run to yield results and the less time spent messing around with my setup the better.

P.S. Has anyone seen any early signs of Salmon near the mouths yet. Rains have finally come and temps seem to be dropping a bit. Maybe I should put on my scuba gear a big sexy salmon suit and start hanging out near the mouth of the credit!

I think fluoro is overrated and can get costly if fishing snaggy areas. If the fish are that finicky, chances are they aren't feeding. I would just use the tried and true Trilene XL.

Thats just me. :tease:

I used to be that guy too.........And then I made a statement like that and was seriously out-fished. I still caught fish but nothing like the guy standing beside me with a braid-leader setup and the same lure rig saying "I told you so". So I switched and the results were immediate. But if you are still getting results with the Trilene (my personal favorite also) then why change.

Three way swivels are a very useful tool...one I have been using alot this summer. Been dragging stickbaits and slow death tipped with gulp leeches behind the boat and from shore and have caught not only numbers, but my personal best pickerel this year (7.1lbs).

I personally use an 8' 6" rod for the dragging and a 10' 6" noodle pole when bottom bouncing for trout in the fall and winter. Normally I go with a 10lb braid main, 6-10lb floro leed and weight line. I use pencil weights when from shore and usually bell sinkers when from the boat. I normally keep my weight line short when fishing trout on the river (maybe 2-4 inches) but lately I have made it much longer (14-18 inches) to keep the offering higher off bottom away from the bottom and it has seemed to work better for bass and piks on the river.

My biggest piece of advice is get yourself good three way swivels! That is very important. I know most guys are probably laughing but I have been doing the drift for years using your regular three ways until this year! This year I purchased the Thundermist T Turn swivels at the niagara boat show and I cannot believe that every time I bring them in, never once has my leed, bait and or weight line been tangled. Amazing!!!!

Good luck!!!

I ran out of 3 way swivels one day and simply tied a small triple loop about 12" up the line , put on a weight and used the loop to fasten my lead for the roe bag . I put the lead line through the small loop twice to avoid cutting into the loop ......it worked with a few minor tangles , and was a fairly strong rig .

Lushis....I have used the slow death hooks & I find they bend easily unless you use light gear . The action created by the bend of the hook is really neat and threading the worm is very important to get the right action . I also like using 2 small wide gap hooks about 2" apart like on a worm harness rig & hook the worm once at the front & behind the collar so it appears natural ......got my best large mouth last year with that rig .

Archived