Salmon Rod?

Jason15

With the salmon season approaching should I look into a salmon rod or will my 6'6" medium rod do? I have never fished for salmon and would like to start this season!

It definitely wouldn't hurt to look for something but if you have a smooth drag it should be good. Might be harder to cast far and you won't have the leverage advantage, but I'm no expert lol

Depends on what type of fishing you plan to do for them. Throwing lures/spoons, I would go with an 8-8.5 foot med to med-heavy rod. The rod acts as a shock absorber to lessen break-offs, bottom bouncing, I would go with a 9.5-10.5 med rod. for float fishing, I would go with a 12+ med-light to med (8-17lb). I'm not saying that you can't catch salmon with your present setup, people do all the time, but the longer rods give you a better chance of landing the fish. IMO ...

I had a ridiculously tough time finding the perfect rod, you need to look at many options. To my great surprise, even a monster like Bass Pro didn't make it easy... apparently they have never heard of people fishing off piers for migratories, needing a very long rod, with backbone, to hurl a 3/4 oz cleo a country mile. Perhaps such gear is more available in the coastal states, where surf fishing is major. Very frustrating, store after store they had no clue of what I was after in a pier rod.

I'd suggest going with what you have, then upgrading if you actually catch fish, and find it inadequate. Save your money for gas and fresh mono. You might go ten times and never catch a salmon. I did.

Ten foot minimum. Any decent brand name will do, but you have to get the action right, a pool cue doesn't have the flex to transfer the energy.. but a whippy 12' noodle rod meant for floatfishing steelheaders... almost as useless as far as I'm concerned. Spend more on the reel than the rod. It's nice to have the proper gear... kinda satisfying to cast twice as far as the other chumps... even just carting a real monster phallic symbol out there is an ego boost, past all the chumps with their little ugly stiks, heh, heh, heh... Don't forget a long handled net.

I have a st croix 10' 6" salmon blank loaded with spoon chucking power. Rated 8-20 lb test. ;). I just might build and sell when I get time. It's a SC 2

I was looking at one of those at bass pro a few weeks ago it was on sale for 135$ I think

I was looking at one of those at bass pro a few weeks ago it was on sale for 135$ I think

. An Sc 2? Custom? I think not. Just the blank on st croix web site is listed at $190. Bass or

To does not carry custom rods. I believe you may have been looking at. The cheap wild river series for 135

With the salmon season approaching should I look into a salmon rod or will my 6'6" medium rod do? I have never fished for salmon and would like to start this season!

Me too. I'd love to hook up some time when you are going if you're looking for a partner :)

Reels are the tough one, hardly anybody in the N.American market makes a spinning reel that can hold up to season of salmon fishing and hold a minimum of 200yrds of 15lb.+ braid.

The last two seasons I've been running a 9' Fenwick HMX M (rated 8-17lb 3/8-1oz.) with a made in Japan Daiwa Bradia 3500. Currently have spooled 250yrds of 15lb PowerPro SuperSlick (super chucking line BTW). Can handle any spoon I care to throw all night and can whip any King I latch onto off the pier.

Daiwa Whisker 1300 would be my economical choice, any spinner cheaper (i.e. Shimano, Pfleuger, Abu) will be dead by the end of the season if you fish much.

I use a 12" shimano Noodle rod, used it for many years and landed many Salmon/Trout from the Pier/River... great rod...

Your Rod sounds fine for just starting out.. I would recomend using it for the first few times... look at other guys rods when your out, talk to them and learn... then see what you want to do..

It was Pete who suggested my Noddle Rod for me many years ago.. (he did suggest other types of rods too, but i thought the Noodle Rod was really cool)

Noodle rods are designed for light lines and have almost no backbone. You would want something more sturdy for hooksets and controlling large fish in current. Yes, I'm sure its been done, (I've done it), but it always leaves you wanting a better rod.

Yes they are designed for light lines... small to med lures which equals far casts... they dont need back bone.. they have amazing flexability.. the Rod rated up to 120lbs.. I have no problems controling fish in large current or making good hook sets, its all about preference and style of fishing, some people really don't like the Noodle.. but I would never want a "better Rod" when in my opinion I already have one..

If u want to go cheaper try aquantum cold water with a bit heavier rating that's what my buddy uses hasn't broken yet lol I think its about 60 bucks personally id go between8" at very min and 10"6 very most(to start!) I've got 4 rods for salmon (5 if u count my gf's) depends on what type of fishing (spoon chucking, bottom bouncing, float fishing) wind speed/direction. The rod makes all the diff but that's later..

Don't get me wrong I've used a6"6volteus but that was for fun ;)

I use a 9'6" medium power St. Croix. I cast a mile, but I'd like a little more backbone. To make up for lack of power, you need a high capacity reel (300ish yards of 20 lb. braid) so you can let them run to tire out. Pfleuger Supreme XT

I'm more than likely just going to be fishing off piers and in rivers/ streams not sure if it makes any difference? I also don't have a ton to spend on a set up right now so I'm pretty

much looking for a temporary set up for now.

Would an Abu Garcia Orras 40 be good for a reel? it holds 210 yds of 10lb so i should be able to use my 15lb braid and has 18 lb drag.

you should be fine with that...i run a shimano sahara 4000 with about the same line capacity and ive caught many salmon off the pier with it....IMO you might want to use 20-30lb braid with all rocks and zebra muscles.....good luck

If your serious about getting into salmon get yourself a baitcast setup. Salmon tend to burn out spinning reels lime champs. The more money you spend the better usually but any baitcasters gearing holds up better than most spinning reels.

Archived