Fishing The Port With The Smerchly

hammercarp

How did you end up making out? My nephew and I got onto the smallies down on the 12, they couldn't resist the shrimp! We didn't catch any monsters, but we land a handful so I can't really complain. It was nice to run into you guys down there. Nice meeting you both :)

Meatface

It 's nice to meet you Jon , I'm glad to see you got some fish today . As I was saying , those carp know Hammercarp and the Smerch and head for T.O. when they spot us ! We will wear a disguise next time . It was great to get together again Lorne , always worth the time for the interesting chats and I am always learning more tricks of the trade catching carp . We will certainly have to challenge the carp in the fast lane at the 12 one day . I am confident Lorne knows ways to get them in that faster water . We had cormorants emerging right under our rods today ......I think they put the run on the carp ! We also saw a bird on the pier being harassed by the gulls . I believe it was the same birds my wife & I saw a few years back on the same pier , called a Turnstone .......an arctic bird..

SAM_1614.JPG

Oh yes ....I must mention the mailman .......nice to have met you today . Have fun on your fishing trip and show us your catch :Gonefishing:

I honestly BELIEVE that certain CARP can distinguish PEOPLE.... seriously.

Up here on Centre Island and down at the Toronto Harbourfront ... I'd swear some of them know me, by sight.

A friend of mine who fishes dowtown regularily believes the same.

Carp are a heck of a LOT SMARTER than "Some" would want to give kudo's too.

ps: If we time it right - You chase yours up to TO, and I'll chase mine down to the Port. lol

I dont think they have - Facial photo recognition software, yet?

*SMILES*

Smerch and Hammercarp.....it was a pleasure to meet the both of ya! I stopped @ petes to get tube jigs which worked well last year....unfortunately they didn't work as well this year. What did produce nicely though was live bait under a slip float. We used frogs, crayfish and hellgrammites. Caught a few beautys, and a tonne of small ones. The lake we stay @ in algonquin only holds smallies and lake trout. Had no boat so only fished small mouth....All fish were released unharmed, hopefully to catch em again when I head north this weekend again!!!!

Thanks for the report Mailman . Sometimes the small tubes or twisters work better than the large ones for bass . I have always enjoyed using floats for many species of fish and also using bait like worms with no weight , rigged with 2 hooks about 2" apart . The bass would hit them before reaching bottom . .....a real blast with light gear. Gotta watch those hell -gramites ....they bite ! :unsure:

Archived