Leader Tangles

snaggy

Ok so I got sick of buying leaders for $3 so I started making my own. I used 10lb in 3 feet, 5lb in 3 feet, then added 18 inches of tippet. My problem is the tippet and the fly are getting hooked around the othe knots keeping the lines together and it turns out to be a huge mess! Does anyone know where I'm going wrong ? Thanks.

Buy tapered tippet. Use till the fine end tippet is gone. Tie a few feet of straight mono to the tapered butt. Replace and reuse ad infinitum. Problem solved.

Or cut out even that level of complexity, and run a flat leader, straight mono from fly line to fly.

If you must continue using multi-knot leaders, you need to change the knot, trim the tag ends closer, or coat the damn things with nail polish.

Every knot is a potential failure point. Line seldom actually breaks, knots usually fail first. The fewer, the better.

Hope this helps.

Tie your leader sections with blood knots. Don't worry as much about the poundage but more about the diameter. For example I'll start with .025" then step down .002-.003" with each successive piece. This way the leader is tapering at the same rate through each step. I usually use 5 pieces. I don't measure I just hold one end in my teeth and straighten my arm. That is one length. No matter where I am I can always tie the same length. I then tie in my tippet which in this case would be .010". Depending on what kind of tippet you use that can be anywhere from 6lbs (mono) to 14.5lbs (Seaguar Grand Max fluorocarbon). Make sure you are clipping the tags as close as possible.

There could also be an issue with your casting technique. Try to change the angle of your rod so the back cast and forward cast are on a slightly different plane from each other. For example try to back cast with a slight side arm technique, say about 2 o'clock and then rotate your rod to the 12 o'clock position on your presentation cast. Works for me, best of luck to you.................Boog

Archived