Terrestrials Are Really Hot!

Dogman

Went out to my favorite spot in Chippawa Creek last night. The water was calm and smooth. I waded out to the drop off and started casting. I started with a black beetle imitation and it got hammered on the second cast. The night went that way until dusk. Anything that made a noticeable "plop" when it hit the water was taken almost immediately. When it started getting dark I switched to a bigger hopper imitation. I was casting along the bank as I started to head back to my car when a decent sized bass jumped clear out of the water at my fly. Sadly it missed. I'd say it was about three pounds. Very nice compared to the little ones I had been catching all night (less than a pound mostly). Ended up with a couple small mouth and a couple rock bass with a lot of near misses. The bass were hungry and very aggressive. I even hooked up while dragging a fly moving from one spot to another. I am just loving fishing terrestrial flies. Can't wait until I can get out and try some for trout!!!

Sounds great. I am available a few nights during the week (not Wed or Fri), Saturdays and Sunday afternoons. Let me know what works for you and we'll find a time to get together.

I love the grasshopper pattern, it got me some good action up in algonquin this week. i want to try the beetle too, looks awesome.

last week, I was up at gibson and walking along the path that follows the little creek and as i walked through the grass i kept scaring up a bunch of hoppers that would jump into the water. It was interesting to see what they looked like and how they behaved once they hit the water. really helped a lot into how I should present them.

It seems that once they hit the water, they would have a burst of energy to try and get back to shore, but it would be short lived and they would only swim about a foot. then they would have short little swims followed by long rests of 3-5 seconds or more. i tried mimicking this in my presentation and was rewarded with fish.

hope your luck continues with the hopper

Archived