Carp On The Fly

phillipglass

I've been out a few times for carp this year with the fly rod. Landed a couple nice carp on crayfish pattern. Anyone else around here doing this? its a great time if u like sight fishing and it takes a lot of casting skill. Here's a goldie i sight fished out of 4 feet of water.404614649.jpg

Hope to hear from others that might be already doing this sort of thing. Tight lines

I've got my eye on a few spots that look pretty great. Of course lake erie is a great option. probably one of the best places in the world for size and numbers during spring through untill august. I dont have that much experience at all..just a few trips under my belt and not too much consistency. I've found that egg patterns work great..bright orange yellow blue purple seems to really get their curiosity. Crayfish patterns can be excellent. The best all around flies ive found are wooly buggers. tie up a bunch in different colors and see which ones the want to try. Maybe ill see you in the spring

Wasnt using a fly setup .....

But this Spring - Summer was doing great with the Carp on Insects (Live)

Would put on a: grasshopper, Dragonfly ... (Whatever I saw or Swatted down) while out working the Toronto Harbourfront and Islands.

The Carp were actually GOING out of their way ... to hit!

I will also `Freeline` bread ... and sight see them along the walls as well (They always hold tight at the harbourfront)

Lots of success with that as well. About 70% would ignore the offering ... the other 30% would take the bait.

Great stats if you consider that there are carp all over the harboufront!

Walk ten yards... look. Try .... catch or move on.

Simple but deadly and productive technique.

Can only imagine what landing a 30 lb+ Beastie Carp in Deep water on the Fly must be like....

A lot of guys are now PINNING for Carp as well.

Kudo`s on your`s and their differsity.

Who said a certain type of Set Up is Species Specific.

If you can fish ... You can try anything.

Mix it up, lots of fun!

Wasnt using a fly setup .....

But this Spring - Summer was doing great with the Carp on Insects (Live)

Would put on a: grasshopper, Dragonfly ... (Whatever I saw or Swatted down) while out working the Toronto Harbourfront and Islands.

The Carp were actually GOING out of their way ... to hit!

I will also `Freeline` bread ... and sight see them along the walls as well (They always hold tight at the harbourfront)

Lots of success with that as well. About 70% would ignore the offering ... the other 30% would take the bait.

Great stats if you consider that there are carp all over the harboufront!

Walk ten yards... look. Try .... catch or move on.

Simple but deadly and productive technique.

Can only imagine what landing a 30 lb+ Beastie Carp in Deep water on the Fly must be like....

A lot of guys are now PINNING for Carp as well.

Kudo`s on your`s and their differsity.

Who said a certain type of Set Up is Species Specific.

If you can fish ... You can try anything.

Mix it up, lots of fun!

That sounds like a lot of fun! I love sight fishing the most. I've had a few Carp on my centerpin...its a lot fun too.

We target carp in our local river during the summer with fly rods. Crayfish imitations are the most popular patterns. Sight fishing to these guys requires stealth and accurate casting.. Here's a tip: Sometimes you find pods of carp suspended, basically doing nothing.. Forget these fish.. they are not biters.. Move on and look for actively feeding fish.

We target carp in our local river during the summer with fly rods. Crayfish imitations are the most popular patterns. Sight fishing to these guys requires stealth and accurate casting.. Here's a tip: Sometimes you find pods of carp suspended, basically doing nothing.. Forget these fish.. they are not biters.. Move on and look for actively feeding fish.

UPDATE: (reason for edit) It didnt grab Lively1 Entire post!

lol

His advice is excellent - crayfish patterns work well (killer on Bass as well)

Stealth and Casting are the key elements.

Landing them as well...lol

On a foot note: I agree with you about the Carp Pods on the Surface. They tend to ignore most offerings and are not really in a feeding mood.

However, up here in the GTA (Harbourfront & Islands) I have had success catching some fish out of the Surface Pods by presenting LIVE BAIT (insects: Dragonfly, Cricket etc). As long as the "Pod" has not SEEN you on the shore with your Pole ...

My belief is take the 10 seconds to try. It cant hurt right? lol

I play the "odds" with the pods and hope that one of them will notice the movement and natural bait and presentation and take the offering. If nothing happens IMMEDIATELY (Strike) i will move on to better pastures.

Worth the shot... is all I'm saying.

Here a shot of one of the PODS on the Surface down at Harbourfront:

CarpPods.jpg

CarpPod2.jpg

This beauty ... couldnt pass up on a Dragonfly

HugeHarbourfrontCarp.jpg

Lively1 is 100% correct in saying dont spend too much "TIME" with em ...

If the Carp are in a Pod on the Surface .. they aint biting! (Mostly ... lol)

Many people will be static fishing Carp - and employing chum.

It requires your attentions to one specific area over a period of time and can be an absolute awesome and effective Technique

The Static Carper brings the Feeding Carp to them. Using great skill, Conditon reads .. specialized equipment, Scents, Rigs.

For me the "math" works to spend 5% of my time trying to entice a strike.

My style employed while "Carping" down in Harbourfront & Islands ...is 90% Sight fishing.

Constantly working the Harbour walls, Marinas, Canals and Ponds.

I go to them (the Carp's locations)

Some days ... it's really successful

Other days .. it's disapointing

I believe that if you employ both strategies ... and understand both.

You will be a very successful Carper!

lol

Blair - Been decades since I chased grasshoppers for bait but you've given me something to think about!

Question - how do you cast a live dragonfly on a spinning rod and still have it fishing on/near the surface of the water? What's your setup?

I use a type of "Free linning style"...

Typically, I have 8lb mono tied directly to a small Octo Hook #6.

The grasshopper itself has some weight, and I will use a super small elastic band to hold the hook, vs a puncture in the insect.

*Just attach the hook this way to one of their hind legs.

I then will use a small split shot sinker about 2-3 ft up the line.

Beside it, i have threaded a small Float ball (little white foam one's i get in bag of 100's at the dollar store)

This give more weight for casting, but also allows a "Neutral Boyancy" so the bait still float freely on the surface.

I usually am only casting out about 20-30 ft. lol No long distance required.

If they are farther out, I dont even try.

When fishing the Harbourfront and Islands ... It's a multi-species game.

Bass, Carp .. Pike.

I keep my setup very simple to be able to interchange quickly.

Most times it is a matter of changing the "Bait" ... not the entire rig.

Only exception is when I go to using lures (Spinners etc)

Then, it only takes a second or two to put on a snap swivel, and choose my lure of choice.

If I am not seeing any Bass or Pike, but the Carp.

Set up changes back to the "Free Line" style.

Just my way of doing it up here, under these conditions.

• 2 years later...

Beautiful shot, well done. I've had some great days sight fishing carp on the fly. Unfortunately that place is 300kms away and I have not seen numbers on the surface here in fly castable areas... But would love to find some!

Archived