Root Beer River

The Ketchican Kid

Today i teamed up with Kissmybass on the rootbeer river. We caught about 15 small catfish between us and a few decent channels and carp as well. What made the fishing so fun though was that we used ice fishing rods. It was a blast. I'm sure people have tried this before, but it was so much fun I thought i would recommend it. my rig was super simple. 1/8 ounce shot with a small circle hook for good hooksets with worm as the bait.

What made the fishing so fun though was that we used ice fishing rods. It was a blast. I'm sure people have tried this before, but it was so much fun I thought i would recommend it.

Man thats so CRAZY COOL!

Awesome.

Glad you tried something at little off the hook and had such a great time doing it.

Great to see some "Fun" being applied to the fishing experience.

Heck ... seen enough "kids" in my time having a blast with a "Dora the Explorer Setup" lol

Thanks for the post and particulars about the set up.

I can tell that you have absolutely no problems in HOLDING your HEAD HIGH ... and enjoying yourself on the water with whatever "Set Up" you have choosen to use.

KUDO's

Certainly out of the ordinary....and sounds like it must have been fun. Must have had some pretty good bows in those ice poles....lol. Good on ya !!!

• 1 year later...

If u are talking about the welland river ! There is many opportunities for fishing it ! It averages 12 ft from wellandport to welland but boasts to some good fishing if one is willing to find em ! For cats we target good to med flow sections that contain a " bend" in the river .. I find that alot of channels hang out in the downstream pockets. ! We use smell hooks with egg sinkers about 1/2 ounce with chicken liver or cut bait !

Looking for spots !! I'd try driving along the river and you will find many spots ! If u drive from welland to wellandport I can think of quite a few ! Feel free to PM me and I can tell you more exact locations and possibly join ya !

And the 2 year old Root Beer River thread is revived from the dead of 2012 once again...lol

There are some decently deep holes in the system, but i find the most succes moving around often. Mobility is key. Used to be one of my favourite spots until last summer there seemed to be a lot of sketchy people / behavior down there. Kinda gave me the willies.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived