Centre Pin Reels

Ola

If you are a fan of Suffix, try the ProMix.. A good friend uses it and loves it.. Minimal line twist & memory, and it's super strong... I would recommend going with the 10lb main.. this will provide more flexibility when it comes to choosing your flouro leader...

That's interesting RN, what do you mean by flexibility? If you go with 10lb main, do you mean that you have the flexibility of going to 8lb leader?

Regardless of the cast having a swivel above the float won't reduce it.

I disagree. On every outing I start without a swivel above the float so I can get a feel for the deeper holes in the river, while doing this I inevitably get some line twist so I put in a swivel above the float and not only do I not get anymore twist it also gets rid of the twist that i already have.

My line of choice for the main line is Sufix ProMix 8 lb, extra limp,very smooth,abrasion resistant(when you move split shots or sliding float stoppers), it's under rated so it's strong. For shot line (not big fan of that) , P-line floroclear 6-8 lb would do the job. Cheeres!

P.S. If you get line twist (side casters :crazy: ), do a long drift (if you can) and while you retrieve slowly, hold the main line between your fingers (tight) and you are good to go for another 2-3 hours.

My view on line...

Some people dont like using backing ( I dont understand it )

50yd. of dacron backing will build a good base on the reel and give you a little colour. I have backing and 300 yd of mono. If you didnt use backing everytime you spooled you would spend more money. I have also never ever hit backing with a fish.

Always mono 100% of the time... no exceptions!

Much like choosing the reel based on water your fishing the line is also taylored to where your fishing.

Currently Im running 10lb Raven Pink High Vis.

For me the Niagara you need to run the 10lb main because I run a shotline of 8lb test and a leader or tippet section of 6lb.

That being said, Im not a fan of this line... I used to run Raven 8lb. High Vis. and I loved that line, although with 8 lb I didnt have room for a smaller shot leader and tippet. I have found that fishing 4lb in the Niagara is more then a pain, there just isnt enough strength to stop a big fresh run steelie, and especially not a laker if it wants to sit on the bottom. (not saying it cant be done but running a 6lb leader on the Niagara will provide alot more consistancy.)

If your fishing all the other stuff in this area, with the exception of the Saugeen 4lb tippet should be good.

I have also run many other mainlines to experiment and find something I really like (still searching)

Due to my eyes I need high vis. no exceptions. I also enjoy floating low light times. I find in busy times other anglers can see your line easiers and generally wont cast over it (even if they dont see the float the line is there)

Trilene Makes a good high vis mono:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/monofilament/trilene-sensation

but the classic trilene xl is very popular among other centerpin fisherman.

Suffix makes an excellent cheap line as well:

http://international.sufix.com/fishing_line/precision_performance_mono/elite/

The site says it comes in high vis. (never found it but if I do... Im buying 3 lol) I have fished the clear and it was excellent, I think the way they wind the spool makes a huge difference.

Seagar Makes probably the best line Ive ever used!

http://seaguar.com/products/senshi.htm

Seriously if you fish mono on other reals, just buy a big spool and spool everything! But no high vis so its out for me. However they make a light reflecting line that is cool but doesnt shine enough for me and obviously doesnt work at night.

Although you pay big bucks compared to the other lines for this one.

My opinion.... get the cheapest spool of 10lb or 8 lb that you can find. Your going to ruin it. lol

Practice casting ... alot, The wallace cast will save you in certain situations, although a modified wallis cast is what I use most of time. During this pracice people are gonna make fun of you when casting on grass and when they see you with the knots the line is gonna tie when your learning. But trust me, the good casters will tell you it makes all the difference :) just ask them.

Remember have fun with it, dont throw your setup if your mad.

One mistake I made when I was learning was I only put wieght on the end of the line and started casting.

Use yarn, 1 peice for your float then stager some shot. and 1 more where the hook would be. This should help the learning curve.

If you need help casting or learning let me know, Im happy to help.

Sorry for the tangent, this is just stuff I wish people told me.

Josh

If you are a fan of Suffix, try the ProMix.. A good friend uses it and loves it.. Minimal line twist & memory, and it's super strong... I would recommend going with the 10lb main.. this will provide more flexibility when it comes to choosing your flouro leader...

Some people like it....not me. I have found it embeds itself on the reel after you have fought a fish or two. Then As your free lining it stickss to the reel. The proper casting will eliminate the line twist for sure. I bought some seagur 10 main then run that to my float then swivel then 9 lb floro shot line then another swivel to my 6lb lead. I like this setup that i took on someones advice. 90percent of the time i get back all my shot and only lose a hook. I bought the kingpin with the intention of you get what you pay for. I have bought cheap before and not long after your buying again. Ki ngpin is not over priced in my opinion....islander kingpin rivdrkeeper are quity reels. Im not saying a cheaper reel will not work for you....and i agree with the budget. Having said that...i have good waders and boots. I tried to save on a cheap....well not to cheap jacket $150 and i hate it.....just could not justify the simms g3 price. Quickly i realize why that jacket is so expensive.....the quality.

I have used several pins, both high and low end. In fact, I have a brand new shiny Kingpin that doesn't see half the action of one of my old Aurora Barrington reels. It all depends on what you like, and what feels nice in your hand. Don't be fooled by a long spinning reel, that's not what matters. What matters is ease of start-up.

Every reel has it's advantages and disadvantages. Look at handle design, some being bad for catching gloves, line, etc....one of the things I highly dislike with my Kingpin is the location of the clicker, being right at the bottom of the reel, where it constantly gets knocked. Alot of guys have ground those down to get them out of the way.

Why not post what your comfortable price range is for a real, and guys can help narrow it down a bit more for you. If it were me, I would grab an old Islander, Stanton, or Barrington to beat on while learning the ropes and upgrade from there.

There are great things about older, cheaper reels, and there are also bad things about nice shiny new reels.

Is everyone seriously missing the fact that he already bought a reel...

actually, fishguy, the really sad fact is that, although i bought one last week, i have already lined up another used one. i figure my son and i can then test drive them both. it's pathetic i know but hey, it's christmas and i have been very, very good this year. :santa:

Nanofil, has gotten popular for bobber fishing except in the cold winter months, it floats and casts really well. I don't get the High-Vis float lines at all, float fishing is not a line watching technique but a float watching technique. Bright green, bright pink, bright yellow, it's just another scam from the line manufacturer and it looks dumb lol. Maxima ultra green 8lb is a good choice for mono, been around forever is a reasonable price and been a staple line for the Steelheaders for years. To be honest any decent quality mono is good, personally I would stay away from Berkely XL it may be a little limp, a better choice is the XT a little stiffer and alot more abrasion resistant. Line seems to be a personal choice so it really comes down to what you are most comfortable with.

I have a Sheffield and use it many places...not so much on the niagara any more bc its more of a pain to bring in the big floats and wieght every drift. Its my primary float reel and I have it filled with 10lb High Vis Suffix Siege. Stuff never breaks before the leader or shot line and casts well. The one thing I did do is change the bearings and replaced them with boca bearings and its has made a huge difference in wallace casting and trotting. Further casts and smoother runs. Hope this helps.

Archived