Rapala Shift

Jason15

I have to disagree with you with you Seanook. I have owned many cheap reels that don't last. My last one was a Plflueger President. I had that thing done in a short time also happened to the one before which took a season. I own a supreme that I have been using a ton. This thing has taken a beating and still going strong.

Regardless of what you want to say you do get better things for the money. It is like saying a Chevy cobalt is as good and say a civic. It isn't I would put money that any civic would out last a cobalt driven the same amount. Why because you spent the money to get a better vehicle.

Sure the reel has lasted you so many years for the money you paid but do you fish a few days every week?

I generally fish 3-4 days a week often more. I use my gear a doo-doo load. Last thing I want is to be out on the lake or river and have something go wrong. I haven't had that problem nearly as often since paying more for my gear. It does make a difference. I see it at work all the time with people returning cheap gear. They fish a lot and they don't last.

Your saying also that a St. Croix Triumph is as good as a St. Croix legend not a chance, why? Price haha.

I am not saying go spend a ton on gear spend what you are able to. The higher the price the better the quality hands down. I also don't judge people for what they have. I also don't buy flashy things I buy what is good. I mean the Patriarch is a ugly reel if you ask me I don't like the look at all but it is a killer reel.

Agree to disagree then. I had no illusions about everybody agreeing. I used to fish alot more than I do and have never had any significant issues with reels. Rods are completely another story though. My main issue with expensive reels is that they need more maintenance (generraly) and when something even small goes wrong it can do more than ruin the days fishing. I also find that for me personally, when buying expensive gear like that there are waaay too many variables as far as testing and balancing being accounted for. I just like to slap on a cheapy and let er rip. If that one breaks I won't even blink. Got a few more just like it and I ain' t worrying about warranty returns or replacement parts. Just which bin on the way out to toss it in.

............ I find that the more $$$ paid for a reel, the more the "NEED" to put it: Front and Centre in the Pics!

lol

Had to get that freindly "jab" into the thread.

Never could understand the "Tradition" that seems to be within the CentrePin Community.

I barely ever see $1000 Stellas, Steez etc being show in pics.

Cant even look at a Thread (Report) nowadays without seeing the CentrePin as the focus of the Pic.

Doesnt matter (Too each there own) ... but in My opinion, actually takes away from the Fish and the Shot.

Oh well.

I have started to "learn" over the years that the ROD is MORE IMPORTANT than the REEL. (In most cases)

If you can have the "best of both" .. then why not!

If you cant, still doesnt mean that you cant have a great day of fishing.

Knowledge & Experience will consistantly be the biggest factor anyway.

Hope you catch 1000+ fish on whatever reel you choose Jason!

Agree to disagree then. I had no illusions about everybody agreeing. I used to fish alot more than I do and have never had any significant issues with reels. Rods are completely another story though. My main issue with expensive reels is that they need more maintenance (generraly) and when something even small goes wrong it can do more than ruin the days fishing. I also find that for me personally, when buying expensive gear like that there are waaay too many variables as far as testing and balancing being accounted for. I just like to slap on a cheapy and let er rip. If that one breaks I won't even blink. Got a few more just like it and I ain' t worrying about warranty returns or replacement parts. Just which bin on the way out to toss it in.

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to our disposable society.

With everything made in China, items are becoming less expensive and thus influence the materials used to produce the product.

It's becoming quite a concern for me to see that prices and cheaply made products are having a huge impact on the environment, "i dont care if it breaks, I'll just buy a new one, only costs $10, what do I care"?

Consider not how much the product costs, rather think of what else is involved in the mass manufacturing of the "WALMART" type product.

How much fuel does it cost to get 1L. of fuel to the tanks? How much petroleum is consumed to make the plastic for commercial bottled water?

Personally when shopping for a new reel, vaccuum, blender or what ever, I wont buy it unless I feel it is quality made, durable and long lasting. If that comes at a high price...well then I wait until I can afford it.

That being said, nowadays it is virtually impossible to procure products that are not made, designed or contain parts manufactured in China, Taiwan etc...

I understand that many of us cannot afford the luxury of high end items, and "Keeping up with the Jones's" but I believe there is still an underlying problem with an attitude of puchasing something and when it breaks, It just goes to the landfill without trying to fix it because the next one is easily affordable.

Jason....get you a reel that you like and can afford. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 dif answers. You have heard everyones opion....so hopefully you can decide. Either way...youll like and it will work fine for you or the next time you will try something else. We all do that until we finally settle on what we like. Best of luck....lets move on already.

Chef,

It was not my intention to convey a message of wreckless disposal. My point was more to the fact that if my reel brakes I'm not broken hearted.

Although where do you think warrany returns go?.....I for one have never seen a refurbished reel sale. Sometimes the product is fixable but in many cases, it just goes in the trash anyhow. If the problem is possibly fixable I will do my own due dilligence, even on a cheapy. But in the case that I break an arm or have a bail snap off etc........I won't hestate using the proper diposal bin.

The two cheap reels I own, I have had a long time. Even for a cheapy the Cardinal has some level of quality. I think the point has been beaten like a dead horse at this conjucture, so I am gonna concede any further discussion on this topic and let the original topic hopefully resume.

Cheers folks. Whatever you're using. :deadhorse:

Archived