Rapala Shift

Jason15

Take a look at the Plueger Patriarch. Great reel and super price at Grimsby Tackle.

I just got one on wed. @ petes tackle (I dont know the price at Grimsby Tackle) its a pretty slick reel. $139 + tax cant beat it....however

they were sold out of the 9535

Line Capacity: 8/140

Braid Capacity: 10/150

Ball Bearings: 9+1

Max Drag: 16 Lbs.

they still had the 9525's and the 9530's which are obviously smaller

I went with the 9540

Line Capacity: 10/170

Braid Capacity: 14/160

Ball Bearings: 9+1

Max Drag: 16 Lbs.

Its the largest of the patriarchs but it only weighs 8.1 oz.

Grimsby had 2 the last time I was their I liked it but the shift had a larger line capacity which is what I was going for if I had more rods I would probably get both

Grimsby Tackle has the Pflueger Patriarch for $139.99 hands down this reel will out do the Shift. As for the reel go with the 30. It is the smaller version but lighter and no need really for the bigger size. No fish will really make you have to worry about getting spool specially with braid. I have caught a 28lbs carp on a 30 Pflueger and 20lbs + salmon.

Personally I wouldn't spend $0.50 on a Pflueger reel , I've seen way to many of them break down in the winter, the drag sucks at -1'c and the anti reverse is hit or miss. I run a Stradic and beat the hell outa of it, although it's not the smoothest reel I've owned it is a work horse. No matainence , no oil, no grease, no nothing and the stradic keeps going, in fact I'm trying to see how much crap this reel will go thruogh before it dies.....the answer is still going strong. Ask smerch or others on this board how much I fish and how much I put a reel through crap, I have more hours on my stradic in a year then most will do in a lifetime and the answer is still running fine. My advice if your going to spend a $ 139 on a reel, bump it up and buy the stradic

I have never had my Pfluegers mess up in - weather. I also find there drags to be far smoother then any other reel even in the cold weather. I also fish a ton. I know personal preference is a key but to knock them like that Ithink is due to maybe you having a faulty reel. Only thing I have had happen to my Pfluegers is the spring in the bail goes causing it to close easy and sometimes while casting. I know the Stradic is a great reel as well, as is the Patriach.

Perhaps I was alittle hasty, I 've personally witnessed 4 Pflugers fail in the winter, that being said I have also seen and have had a few high end Diawas and Stradics fail. I have tried out Pflueger and they are smooth, I'm just not a Pflueger guy, they drill holes in there stuff to make it look high end, and for me the proof is in the punch. Trust me I wasn't a Shimanno guy either but Pete's only had the Stradic and sold me on it, and trust me I beat the crap outa of it and it's still landing steelies, so yes I'm impressed. If a reel can handle steelhead then it passes the test, it takes a smooth responsive drag and solid pull to handle a steel, like I recomend the stradic dose all this and takes a beating.

Not sure why everyone has a love affair with these Pfluegers. They are good reels, but for a $140, I will stay with the Shimanos!

They have never let me down, and are the smoothest and best balanced I've fished. I would suggest buying the Stradic for a few pesos more. A Pflueger may be a good reel for the price, but why not buy a way better reel for a little more money.

Regardless of what you buy, you are going to get a pretty decent reel for $140. Haven't fished a Shift, but I have played with them at the store. They feel pretty good, but still not a Shimano, but that's me.

A quick recomendation: in the store, ask to see the actual reel you will get. Put it on your rod, or something similiar. Sit and spin it, check the balance and everything else. If it feels ok, no sticking, grinding and it runs true, your good.

For the record, you are gonna get a bunch of different opinions, but in the end you have to be comfortable with your purchase. If its a good deal, then grab it.

I agree with Big dog, I'm not a shimmano guy, I love Diawa but after beating the hell outa of Stradic for 2 yrs I am becoming a shimmano guy there reels are a bit of a winch but there solid when push comes to shove. You have to become alittle a custom to the drag (SET IT LIGHT) hahaha, other then that the stradic is a work horse, I've got over 300 port dalhousie steel on this reel not counting brownies but it is what it is. I get guys asking all the time what reel/ rod I need and I tell them buy a stradic, it cost an extra few dollars but if your fishing steelhead you appreciate that extra dollars. The guys on here that drift steel, not browns or lakers will understand what I'm talking about, Steelhead will test a real instantly no question

I bought a Stradic 4000 about 10 yrs. ago , best reel I have owned , but I broke the arm , my fault , last year & haven't fixed it yet .While getting a few hooks ,etc. at Peter's Tackle a guy was checking out a President . I also checked it out & also asked to see the Shimano Symetre 4000 FJ on sale . It is cheaper than the Stradic 4000 , but I was surprised at its smoothness and smooth drag . It hasn't had a lot of use yet but it seems to be very well made.If anyone has some time tested experience with this reel , please comment .

I also have a Symetre reel by Shimano and find it to be a reliable reel. I actually prefer it to my son's Stradics and at half the price. The Symetre feels much smoother compared to the Stradic and basically makes use of the same engineering.

Perhaps I was alittle hasty, I 've personally witnessed 4 Pflugers fail in the winter, that being said I have also seen and have had a few high end Diawas and Stradics fail. I have tried out Pflueger and they are smooth, I'm just not a Pflueger guy, they drill holes in there stuff to make it look high end, and for me the proof is in the punch. Trust me I wasn't a Shimanno guy either but Pete's only had the Stradic and sold me on it, and trust me I beat the crap outa of it and it's still landing steelies, so yes I'm impressed. If a reel can handle steelhead then it passes the test, it takes a smooth responsive drag and solid pull to handle a steel, like I recomend the stradic dose all this and takes a beating.

If its dude approved its the way to go.

Guys the OP asked about the RAPALA SHIFT. I know he said he's looking for a new reel and the alternative recommendations are great, but it'd be nice if he could also get some feedback on the Shift.

Anyone own one? They look nice. I've had mixed experience with Rapala reels/rods. Haven't spent the money on the higher end products they offer, so maybe (hopefully) it's a step up.

Some may look at Rapala reels as a cheap alternative to other well known brand names and will not buy them , but like others , they may have greatly improved the quality as new models enter into the competition . The Shift may not compete with the Stradics , but one has to compare price & quality . I'm sure there are plenty of anglers who use the Shift .....that's where the best feedback on this reel lies . I like the looks of them but haven't really gave one the once over in a tackle shop.

picticast2010rapalacanada02.jpg

The new Rapala Shift Spinning reel.

The spinning reel features 11+1 bearings, a 5.0:1 retrieve ratio, weighs 10.1 ounces and has a line capacity of 100 yards for 10lb test line. It has an SiC/Ti Gold roller guide, an oversized bail arm, and an EVA Soft-touch handle paddle all for approximately $149 Canadian.

I have not "Tried" one yet .... but they sure do look good

At the price point ... i would definately say: Check out the Patriach on sale at Grimsby Tackle ($139) and then the Rapala Shift.

Which ever one feels the best, go for it!

Man....You Guys are nuts. I have been using the same two Abu Garcia Cardinals for almost 4 years. I have caught everything from Steelhead, Carp- Bass and pike. A few monsters on both and I treat em like crap, have only greased one, and only once after it laid in the sand for half a day. I paid less than $120 for both combined and I have never had a problem with them. If I did.......Oh well. Another $69.99 don't hurt like 139 and up. They both cast fine. Drag is fine. Never lost a fish due to either.

Man....You Guys are nuts. I have been using the same two Abu Garcia Cardinals for almost 4 years. I have caught everything from Steelhead, Carp- Bass and pike. A few monsters on both and I treat em like crap, have only greased one, and only once after it laid in the sand for half a day. I paid less than $120 for both combined and I have never had a problem with them. If I did.......Oh well. Another $69.99 don't hurt like 139 and up. They both cast fine. Drag is fine. Never lost a fish due to either.

I don't think it is a matter of nuts, I think it is what you are comfortable spending on gear. I had a reel that cost 70 bucks and I went through it in a couple months. If you spend more you will get better gear regardless.

As for the Shift, it weights 10.1 oz and the Patriarch weights 7.2 oz.

lol

I also have an ABU GARCIA CARDINAL ALBI 503.

I believe i got it on sale for about $49

Excellent Reel.

Have had no difficulties with: Bail, drag ...

Has good STEEL PARTS to it, and great balance.

Reels vs $$ is all a matter of personal opinion.

I do agree that for the money ... The ABU has performed super duper!

*Just had this one for a season, so we shall see how it goes for another.

at that price point, no complaints whatsever.

Would recommend without hesitation.

do agree that for the money ... The ABU has performed super duper!

*Just had this one for a season, so we shall see how it goes for another.

at that price point, no complaints whatsever.

Would recommend without hesitation.

That is the thing here. I do not need better tackle when what I have works and has for a long time. I'm not critisizing here but in my experience, I have seen this scenario too many times to count.

Walking too my spot I see two guys leaving. Both guys are wearing $500 bucks in gear. Their tackle looks to be twice that. "Any luck" I say.

"Nope. Not a bite." they reply.

And I get to my spot. Slap on my $19 sandals. Roll up the pant legs. Get in the water. Toss a $6 Blue fox into the weeds with my Rod and Reel combo avg price $100. And slam fish all day even though I missed the morning fish because I stopped to pick up beer, food and a new pair of Canadian tire sandals.

Sit down for a sammich and a brew. Drop my reel in the sand.......stare at it.......curse.......and leave it there until I finish my snack. And probably a smoke.

Pick my reel up. give it a spin. Ooooh. Sounds crunchy. Take it down to the lake, dunk and shake.......Good as new.

That same scenario has happened countless times. As I said before, I have only ever once cleaned and oiled the older reel.

So, if anyone wants to spend 130-200 plus bucks on a reel then by all means. I just don't view it as necessary. More of a status thing than a catching fish thing (In my opinion anyway). And espescialy a spinning reel.

No judgment here though. I like the shiny ones with bored holes too. Until I see the price.

I have to disagree with you with you Seanook. I have owned many cheap reels that don't last. My last one was a Plflueger President. I had that thing done in a short time also happened to the one before which took a season. I own a supreme that I have been using a ton. This thing has taken a beating and still going strong.

Regardless of what you want to say you do get better things for the money. It is like saying a Chevy cobalt is as good and say a civic. It isn't I would put money that any civic would out last a cobalt driven the same amount. Why because you spent the money to get a better vehicle.

Sure the reel has lasted you so many years for the money you paid but do you fish a few days every week?

I generally fish 3-4 days a week often more. I use my gear a doo-doo load. Last thing I want is to be out on the lake or river and have something go wrong. I haven't had that problem nearly as often since paying more for my gear. It does make a difference. I see it at work all the time with people returning cheap gear. They fish a lot and they don't last.

Your saying also that a St. Croix Triumph is as good as a St. Croix legend not a chance, why? Price haha.

I am not saying go spend a ton on gear spend what you are able to. The higher the price the better the quality hands down. I also don't judge people for what they have. I also don't buy flashy things I buy what is good. I mean the Patriarch is a ugly reel if you ask me I don't like the look at all but it is a killer reel.

I tried it over the counter and it felt pretty smooth and fairly light the bail seemed to close well also it would be a big step up from my shakespeare agility that has been put through a beating this year with the carp dragging it through the water and all the sand from charles daley.

Archived