Decking A Tinner?

ChefMick

Hi everyone need some help!

I have a 14' seanymph, an old 25lb. aft troll, and just put on a 2012 Tohatsu 20 hs. shortshaft.

Now here is my dilema....

I was going to sell the boat, trailer, extra swivel seats, troller, new motor for $5500 CDN.

(the motor alone was $5200.)

and then pick up a used bass boat in the states

But then a buddy of mine sais "well you've got a sweet new engine, why not put casting decks on".

So I want to put a casting deck on the front bench with a bow mount troll, cut the middle bench for a live well, and put a rear casting 1/2 deck on the back bench, with a walk deck on the left side.

Problem is with all of the extra weight added will I still be able to fish with wife and 2 kids?

And if so does anyone have experience decking a tinner??

I think the light 14' alum.boat may be unstable standing on a raised deck as the center of gravity may be too high . Maybe try putting a piece of heavy plywood over the seat and test for stability . I have seen tinners with a small deck piece made from heavy aluminum over plywood to accommodate a trolling motor .

My 12' is more than stable to stand up in I usually stand on the benches with no issues. The problem is with putting a deck on is the weight, it's going to make a huge difference in speed and plane, my opinion not worth it, for 5 g's u can buy a sweet setup that will have everything you want.

It is done very often. As for cutting the sets you will be rruining the frame of the boat. Those seats generally are a part of the structure. For the money you would spend on two decks and all that would be hefty.

May as well try and sell it and get another boat. As for a bass boat don't just sell yourself on one. You are surrounded by the great lakes and you are limited to what you can fish for and what you can get out in. Bass boats are great for going fast and bass fishing in places that aren't to choppy but standing on the deck in chop is a pain in the ass. I would probably look at something that has a deep v and higher walls. Lund have killer boats but not the cheapest. You can find something though that has a casting deck and will handle a good chop still be comfortable. Plus that way you can fish Salmon which is right down the road for you to launch into.

If you do plan on fixing a deck into the tinner Justin Hoffman wrote a real good article on how to do it properly. He writes for Ontario Out of Doors. I will see if I can get the link from him or I have the magazine still if you wanted that.

Chasin, I agree with you...I just say bass boat cause of the casting decks.. I dont mean a skeeter type boat you can rocket in 5" of water.

More like this.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/3404092505.html

How ever I will hate to lose the Tohatsu its a sweet 4 stroke and super quiet.

Don't use pressure treated wood its bad for aluminum. As far as buying a bigger boat I guess that would depend on your intentions , a 14' tinner with a 20hp is in a whole different league than a proV with a 100hp

Don't start cutting the boat, you'll loose the integrity and strength of the boat, that being said there is nothing wrong with building a casting platform and a mount for an electric, you may not end with a 20' lund but you can end up with a decent fisher for the lower niagara, trust me lots of 12-16 foot tinners with 15-20 hp motors do just fine fishing the lower, unless you need to go up to Devils hole and the power plant drifts you will be fine.

Boat decisions are best left up to you. With that said, putting a deck on a tinner has it's pros and cons. You will add weight but it won't be so significant that it will sink the boat or slow it down too much. My cousin put a deck on his 14ft princecraft with a 9.9 and it works great. Although, it will really limit the space more then you think. Having 4 people on the boat will make it feel much smaller with a deck on it. Stability in my opinion is a non-issue. It's the same as standing on the seat, the only difference being that you won't have a choice to stand on the floor if it gets choppy.

Buying a bigger boat is another option, but you need to make sure you won't regret the extra costs after it's bought. If the tinny costs you $30 to tow it and fish for the day, a bass boat will cost $100.

• 10 months later...

I stumbled onto this thread while searching to do the same thing. I'm curious what you ended up doing chef?

im looking to buy a crappy tinner after the winter and do the same thing and I'd love to see an example.

Stick with plan A, I would wonder about the bass boat. It may not be large enough for U and the fam. A used lund predator has a huge bow casting deck. Problem with a Lund is they hold their value. So new may be a better option....so many opinions with so little time. If you are buying new wait till late Nov or Dec the deals will be better.

Archived