Speaking Of Winter....

smerchly

Many of us have pickup trucks . My F150 is 2 wheel drive and has good aggressive tread on the tires . But it's still light in the a$$ end , so I bought some 66 # sand bags and some 40 # salt bags which totals about 300 lbs extra over the back wheels . I will not buy snow tires and I stay home when roads are too slick . But I still wonder if 300 lbs . is really helping me get better traction or should I add more weight.......I'm not concerned about gas mileage , it's a truck ,lol. I slow down more and brake easy at intersections when I see some icy conditions . Look at the winter we had last year .......lots of needless wear on snow tires . My 1990 van is better in the snow , no snows or extra weight needed on that old girl ........ B)

Always owned a 4x4 for a pickup because 2WD is too light on drive wheels. In the old days you had to lock the front hubs to use 4x4. Now just flick a switch. Of course the old saying still applies, all a 4x4 does is get you stuck farther back in. Weight over the wheels helps, but rather than bags try cement slabs. Spread out they give you the weight but you can still put stuff on top of them.

Keep on stackin'. 300lbs is good, but 600lbs is better. Like you said, you're not concerned about mileage. Haha! And yeah, big patio stones work real well.

I have a 4x4 but a friend of mine has a 2x4 and he stacks 10 30kg sand bags. He also tows his toy hauler around all winter.

I had a new 2005 Jimmy 4x4 and it was great in the snow with semi aggressive factory tires , but it was simply too small . I like the full size SUVs or pickups . I'll prob. go to a larger 4x4 next truck I buy . I had some 2'x2' patio blocks for weight but I don't trust them in case of an accident as the blocks could end up coming through the back window in a head on collision , an hopefully , sand or salt bags would just rip apart ......and the sand and salt may come in handy under the wheels when stuck . lol The amount of weight needed to be effective is my dilemma ....... :read::dunno:

I could put 4 to 6 patio blocks in and pile the sand bags on top to give me close to 500 lbs........

A friend of mine uses:

1. Muskie

2. Wild Browns & Steelies

3. Sturgeon

700-800 Lbs

Only puts em in the back when the Temps are going to stay @0C or less.

Always has a good meal (keeps a barbecue in there as well)

Sometimes he gets "hasseled" by other fishermen. So he starting telling everyone is was just "CARP".

Got hasseled over that as well.

Now he just says: "He works for the MNR - Fish studies department"

More of us should try this!

lol

Personally if its an older f-150 I would t put more than 300, take into affect ur driving all winter 3 months or so with that constant weight, don't want to blow leaf spring, it is a ford lol just kiddin. My opinion

Also with a lot of weight if you do lose control, it will be harder to regain control... Physics

Archived